Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Defect ... :(

ciaranvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec.
the company is called solartint

ummm.. head to solartint.com.au

there arent any shops in the gold coast, but i have a funny feeling that onyx is a particular style of a brand of tint. I cant remember the brand that solartint uses, but if you call a solartint store they may be able to tell you who to call to find out who fits onyx in qld.

im sure somebody in brisvegas/gold coast must fit it! its the sunniest state behind NT!!

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
What do you do in QLD once your car is defected? I assume you take it to the roads authority to have some sort of roady done on it?

In Victoria at least, if you know the right people, 'yellow canaries' as we call'em, are nothing too much to worry about. Roadworthies are conducted by accredited mechanics and not the roads authority. I know cause my last car (Ford EF Falcon) should NEVER have passed a roady but did somehow :w00t: .

3x bald tyres
1x sand blasted windscreen
1x defective drivers seat belt
1x cracked LHF indicator

My Holden is NEVER gonna get that bad. After all dont want anything in common with the Fords now do we :yeah:

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Ev0LuTioN said:
He then goes to his car and brings this purpleish card. Opens the back door and sticks the card on theother side of the window and goes "Can you tell me what it says on this card", and ofcourse being a 5% tint I couldnt even see the bloody thing not try reading it lol. So i was like "umm nah, not really".

before i say anything and everyone jumps on the ban wagon if its illegal its simply illegal BUT the tint on your back windows can be any darkness you choose so i dont understand why he tested them and not your fronts. i would have said something to him about it.....nicely ofcourse :yeah:

personally i would take it over the pits or whatever you guys do in qld as is and see if they pass the fronts at 20%. you would be surprised how many people have. if that doesnt work take the fronts off put on 35% and try and pass it or dont put any on the fronts, pass it and then decide what to put on

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
myberlina said:
What do you do in QLD once your car is defected? I assume you take it to the roads authority to have some sort of roady done on it?

In Victoria at least, if you know the right people, 'yellow canaries' as we call'em, are nothing too much to worry about. Roadworthies are conducted by accredited mechanics and not the roads authority. I know cause my last car (Ford EF Falcon) should NEVER have passed a roady but did somehow :w00t: .

3x bald tyres
1x sand blasted windscreen
1x defective drivers seat belt
1x cracked LHF indicator

My Holden is NEVER gonna get that bad. After all dont want anything in common with the Fords now do we :yeah:

i wish it was like that in WA. it would be easy to get away with stuff thats borderline.

here we have to take it to the "PITS" which is basically building where special police officials conduct tests and checklists and determine whether or not the yellow or red canary is coming off and as the name states you drive over a pit so the inspector can look under the car easily.

so many people get a yellow canary and go over the next day and pass :yeah: but sometimes you get a official that will be a real f*ckhead and screw you over the smallest stuff when there are sh*t buckets on the street running around without a worry :ranting:

N

Night

I don't know what its like interstate but I've heard over here in adelaide that you have to have a tint darkness sticker on the window or it is an instant defect and if you have the wrong sticker then the owner or tinting person gets into ****. Don't know if this helps either but my cousin got defected for tinted windows (his tint wasn't really dark but it was illegal) instead of ripping his tint off he took it over the pits a few days later and told the cop it was retinted. The sunroof was open and his front windows slightly open, the cop didn't bother checking how dark it was he just looked at it and passed it, Lucky him. Everytime i have a cop behind me I open all the windows and I havn't been done yet, could be luck or maybe they aren't looking for it.

Ev0LuTioN

Unknown
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec. 2001
DeanoVT said:
personally i would take it over the pits or whatever you guys do in qld as is and see if they pass the fronts at 20%.

I tryed doing that, but he was a bit rude and he didn't want to talk about it much, he pretty much yelled out "35% ALL OVER NO QUESTIONS ASKED". MY fronts were 5% but I changed them to 20% as I couldnt see crap. 20% to be is fine as. I have seen 35% and it looks a bit iffy. But I dont know, I will go and take the tint off and I will see what I am going to do. Might even go to police station and ask them to test my 20% windows, as theother cop didnt want to hear about it.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Ev0LuTioN said:
I tryed doing that, but he was a bit rude and he didn't want to talk about it much, he pretty much yelled out "35% ALL OVER NO QUESTIONS ASKED". MY fronts were 5% but I changed them to 20% as I couldnt see crap. 20% to be is fine as. I have seen 35% and it looks a bit iffy. But I dont know, I will go and take the tint off and I will see what I am going to do. Might even go to police station and ask them to test my 20% windows, as theother cop didnt want to hear about it.

i'd find out the law in print that states that the rear windows can be whatever and speak to someone at a police station about the guy at the pits.
every other state allows the back windows to be darker than 35 unless qld is different.

good luck with it

Ev0LuTioN

Unknown
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec. 2001
DeanoVT said:
i'd find out the law in print that states that the rear windows can be whatever and speak to someone at a police station about the guy at the pits.
every other state allows the back windows to be darker than 35 unless qld is different.

good luck with it

Cheers man.

I talked to the guy that did my windows and he said "Bring the fine that they gave you to me and I will see what I can do for you". He seemed really nice about it too, because he lightened my front windows as well. So as soon as dad gets back home i'll get him to drive me because I can't drive my car and see what happens. On the way back I will also stop at police station and talk to them about it.

Thanks for replyes guys ..
alex.