Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing Tips & Tricks....

defyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Good read, I dont mean to be rude to the guy that posted the thread on the HSV forum but using Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo to wash your car? HAHA
And the only proof he has is "Well because it's gentle enough not to irritate the eyes of a baby so it's gentle enough to use on your car without it damaging the polishes/waxes you spent hours applying."

Is he kidding? The product is designed for babys, to be soft on there eyes not to be used as a car wash that does not strip wax, Maybe he should look at some top range car shampoo products, he might relisw these companys spend big money making a product that does that strip wax.

I wouldnt be putting products on my paint unless they are designed to be used as a car care product.

S

strungout

hey

a vl dash - plastic faded as is there any way to make this look a bit more fancy than a faded grey?

door trim - has like some one has left the window down in a torential storm for 5 days like some one has poured a 2 l jug of water down it leaving water lines, is there any way to get these out?

Miss-E

VTCOM6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
My problems are window related.

The mold on my window came off, we masking taped it, then i got glandular fever and a virus and was sick in bed for 3 weeks. hence the tape stuck really well and wont come off. Any advice for tape removal?

Seondly. People seem to lick keying my car, not the paint just the windows. Inside the car looking out all you can see is scratches. What an be done for these?

T

tlndofa

my roof lining has come down on one of my cars,what sort of glue would be good to stick it back up,please...

mistaken

... pimpin it VT stylez
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Awesome thread :)

However, can I recommend that people read the whole thread before posting. Not only will your question most probably already been answered, but you'll also find answers to the other 101 questions you were thinking about asking!
:D

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
mistaken said:
Awesome thread :)

However, can I recommend that people read the whole thread before posting. Not only will your question most probably already been answered, but you'll also find answers to the other 101 questions you were thinking about asking!
:D
True,true.........

Last edited:

GoogieMan

The Original GoogieMan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
im keen to give my car a new paintjob - done by me. i hear if you put a huge effort into the prep work and take your time with the spraypainting you will get a pretty good result. i dont mind if its not perfect as i will be spraying it two tone - cherry red on the bottom and black on top - and doing it myself will be saving me 5 grand plus.
its for a vn wagon with a fair white paintjob at the moment. i bought another unlicenced vn for parts so all panels will be straight before i start painting.
just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips that could help me out in either the prep or spraying stages.

cheers

brent

what paint you useing> 2pac or Acrillic?
Cherry paint i have heard is tricky to paint too.

Use 1200 grit wet and Dry sand the whole car (fix any small dints with Spot putty or something)

if the base color is white and your goin a dark colour best to primer the car completly. Then place a Guide coat of black ( very lite mist that will sit in any little dints etc) then block the whole car, then the dints will show up. then it gives you the chance to correct em (spot putty).
once your happy with the undercoat stage (that you have any dents / stone chips taken out) your just about ready to paint.
tape up anything you dont want coverd.

Surface prep before painting: completly blow all cracks that the dust can sit in. Then use a good quality Wax and greese remover and whipe the whole car from top to tail being very picky (even the oil from your finger tips can alter how the paint sticks)

with 2pac dont ask wouldnt have a clue with the mixin

If using accrillic:

use only Premium thinners NOT general purpouse
mixing the colour: mix 1part paint to one part thinners
The clear (if metallic or if your useing it): 70% thinners to 30% clear remember clear is like GLUE! any thicker than that your gonna get Orange peal all over it and that aint pretty takes donks to get it out.

once the paint and clear is on, cut the car back with 1200 or 2000 grit wet.
buy a Good cutting compound from your local Auto Paint supplyier (eg B & L Paint supplyies) not from auto one or things like that.

Then buff the car with the cutting compund, wash it once finnished. then put a nice pollish on top.

wala

silvr6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
Nice thread, got one quick question, ive got a Black VS commodore, now paint is in pretty good condition which is suprising..

now i went out and brought just a polish, cleaned the car nice and clean and started applying, i havnt noticed a huge increase in shine is it possible that this could be because the car has been polished before i brought it?

Using Meguirs showcar glaze.. im not too keen on going a cut and polish as paint isnt faded, or am i using the wrong type polish?

GTRVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
how do you get old dull tail lights to shine like new again?