Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deuce's new daily - 1970 series2a LWB

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Alternator is on the piss...belt is not running straight. the bracket was probably bent because it's supposed to go on the front of the alternator.
I also noticed it looked 'toe in' on photo #2.
But I'm sure it was just a photo thing.
I'll straight edge it in the next few days to check again since you have brought it up.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I also noticed it looked 'toe in' on photo #2.
But I'm sure it was just a photo thing.
I'll straight edge it in the next few days to check again since you have brought it up.

All other pulleys seem to line up, but it looks like the alternator is crooked. Even the body looks not to be perpendicular to the waterpump pulley or the engine.
IMG_20210510_203350.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
The alternator has 2 lower mount bolts which should hold it to the block in alignment and only pivot as per adjuster bolt. So I'll run it as is, and if the belt folds on it self and ejects, then I'll see what can be done about it.

In other news, after weeks on and off of trying to fix fuel tank leaks and swapping tanks only to find a slow leak several days later, and then attempting the other tank and swapping back - I think I may (or may not) have it sorted. Time will tell.
Next up is re-checking all fuel lines (changing as I see fit), bleeding fuel system again and trying to start / charge under it's own power.
Then checking gears with the rear wheels still off the ground.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Last Friday , before I left , ( helped my mate put a packed up gazebo / tent in the garage beside the 101 .
The big shed is part workshop and part acommo = airb/ an b = mainly in the cooler months = accomo people staying this weekend just gone= in fact , people staying the next few weeks..

Anyway 101 has metal dash in front of steering wheel .= is very / so truck like .
Unfortunately I didn't take photos!!!
The brake booster is right there in plain sight to the right of the steering column .
The clutch and brake reservoirs are in plain slight to the left of the steering colum.
He said one day have to take me for a run in it= im going to hold him to that!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Advice for young players:
Don't bolt your hot wire between the floor and chassis.
received_914195706085171.jpeg

Because smoke
IMG_20210519_205303.jpg

IMG_20210519_205606.jpg

IMG_20210519_205240.jpg

IMG_20210519_210142.jpg

On a positive note though, I've made a quick bracket to hold fuel filters about where they will go - so the engine can run and/or drive with the RH fender (wing) removed.
IMG_20210519_205007.jpg

They will obviously go back on the fender once it is all sorted and painted. But that is a bit further down the list than some other stuff.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Oh, and that hot wire is the switched feed to the seats fuse block (so pre-fuses unfortunately).
I have an idea for an improvement once I redo this wire though, as in hindsight it is quite long to be un-protected like this.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Oh man!! That must have been a heart stopper! I can smell it. I can hear it!
I recall repairing some wiring in my Suburu back in the day. Dad was helping me. I’d worked on cars with dad since I was 5. He taught me a lot.
He miss read a relay and corresponding wiring and we had the same thing happen. Got to it just in time. So fast. Hissing sound. Bang. Smoke and stink. The loom looked like above. Had to pull the loom , undo it all, replace required wiring.
At that point I realised I might be over taking dad with newer knowledge. It was the moment I got interested in wiring and fault finding. Went and bought some books. Started teaching myself.

I don’t think we ever worked on a car together after that, come to think of it. Not intentional maybe? I don’t know.

Anyway, your experience will mean a better wiring set up :) A lucky miss.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I love the list by the way.

Reactions: Lex

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Oh man!! That must have been a heart stopper! I can smell it. I can hear it!
I recall repairing some wiring in my Suburu back in the day. Dad was helping me. I’d worked on cars with dad since I was 5. He taught me a lot.
He miss read a relay and corresponding wiring and we had the same thing happen. Got to it just in time. So fast. Hissing sound. Bang. Smoke and stink. The loom looked like above. Had to pull the loom , undo it all, replace required wiring.
At that point I realised I might be over taking dad with newer knowledge. It was the moment I got interested in wiring and fault finding. Went and bought some books. Started teaching myself.

I don’t think we ever worked on a car together after that, come to think of it. Not intentional maybe? I don’t know.

Anyway, your experience will mean a better wiring set up :) A lucky miss.
Yeah, freaked out a little bit, but also sorted it quickly so quickly found camera on my phone so I could get cool shots of the smoke lingering. Lol
No sounds, very little smell. I mostly freaked because I was attempting to prime the fuel system and thought it was a fuel pump (or wiring) issue. Not as worried after I disconnected battery and saw which wire it actually was.