Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deuce's new daily - 1970 series2a LWB

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Finally finished the front driveshaft.
IMG_20210728_115239.jpg

When I started on it, both universal's were buggered. So stole the slip joint from a good driveshaft that was too short and that was one end sorted.
IMG_20210728_115131.jpg

Then cut out the uni on the other end (as seen in a previous post), and took the flange and uni from the same short driveshaft to also fit to my correct length driveshaft.
Although the bearing caps would not go straight in.
First I took back some material with a carbide burr where it was peened over in a few spots above the circlip grooves. Then found it was actually a bit out of round (needed 27mm diameter, and was 26.80 in one spot), so bought a 3 stone brake cylinder hone ($20) and worked the driveshaft until it had more clearance and more parallel-ness.
Finally I fitted the 'stolen' flange and uni to this shaft.
IMG_20210728_115111.jpg

Which means now this shorty will sit in the corner of the garage (I don't even know what it is the correct length for)
IMG_20210728_115047.jpg

The correct length driveshaft has a balance weight on it but no alignment dots, where as the shorty driveshaft had no weights but was marked for alignment.
Maybe this front driveshaft will vibrate at speed? But then again it will only be spinning in 4wd which is all (well mostly) slower speeds and off road anyway (read - bumpy roads). So hopefully causes no real issues.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That boot looks interesting. It it the proper one or is it a boot from something else that fits well?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Also fitted the driveshaft today and torqued to spec.
That boot looks interesting. It it the proper one or is it a boot from something else that fits well?
Probably just some random. It was on the shorty shaft when I disassembled it.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Did it work?
? How so?
I bolted both flanges where they need to go. Uni's feel tight (normal, not extra stiff) and slip yoke extended normally, and boot extended out normally. Obviously haven't driven it or anything yet.
But probably should pump up the greese nipples too before going far.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
? How so?
I bolted both flanges where they need to go. Uni's feel tight (normal, not extra stiff) and slip yoke extended normally, and boot extended out normally. Obviously haven't driven it or anything yet.
But probably should pump up the greese nipples too before going far.
Thought maybe you would have tried it out? As in drive up down the drive way. Or taken it paddock bashing?;)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Thought maybe you would have tried it out? As in drive up down the drive way. Or taken it paddock bashing?;)
Currently don't have a lower radiator hose.
But hopefully over the coming weekend I'll get my front radiator panel back, and then I can mock it all up for the bottom hose and maybe put water in it and take it for a drive in the reserve across the road.
That's a big MAYBE though.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Sorry all, almost a month between updates.
Quite a bit done, and not much all at the same time. (Did heaps some days, and then don't touch it for a week).
Radiator is mounted to radiator panel (for now), and panel bolted to truck. Removed all bonnet catch parts and will secure the bonnet another way, as everything was interfering with the radiator cap.

Drivers fender mounted again and all steering covers for steering shaft are cut/bent and dummy fitted. Still needing paint obviously.

Lower radiator hose is on, even though it is 2 old half hoses with a joiner. I will probably find a new one piece from repco once covid lockdown ends.
Filled with water and a few leaks fixed. But need gasket paper to fix the last leak and I cannot find it anywhere in my garage.
And I've driven around the reserve across the road twice (well actually the wife drove it once)

Decided on a position for the radiator overflow bottle. A spot for the horns. And a probable spot/ size for trans cooler.
I got a few small bits ready for primer. Just the drivers fender and radiator panel to go.

took a photo
IMG_20210823_213139.jpg

And then removed the fender and radiator panel again for rust repairs etc.

I may have missed something. But basically it was cool to drive through the park at 10kph.
Speaking of, the speedo works. Fuel gauge works, ammeter works. Hi/,low range works. Transmission doesn't shift out of first (99% sure I know why). It's quiet enough inside to still talk. Comfy seats and suspension.
Maybe not so at higher speeds though...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Sorry all, almost a month between updates.
Quite a bit done, and not much all at the same time. (Did heaps some days, and then don't touch it for a week).
Radiator is mounted to radiator panel (for now), and panel bolted to truck. Removed all bonnet catch parts and will secure the bonnet another way, as everything was interfering with the radiator cap.

Drivers fender mounted again and all steering covers for steering shaft are cut/bent and dummy fitted. Still needing paint obviously.

Lower radiator hose is on, even though it is 2 old half hoses with a joiner. I will probably find a new one piece from repco once covid lockdown ends.
Filled with water and a few leaks fixed. But need gasket paper to fix the last leak and I cannot find it anywhere in my garage.
And I've driven around the reserve across the road twice (well actually the wife drove it once)

Decided on a position for the radiator overflow bottle. A spot for the horns. And a probable spot/ size for trans cooler.
I got a few small bits ready for primer. Just the drivers fender and radiator panel to go.

took a photo
View attachment 225834
And then removed the fender and radiator panel again for rust repairs etc.

I may have missed something. But basically it was cool to drive through the park at 10kph.
Speaking of, the speedo works. Fuel gauge works, ammeter works. Hi/,low range works. Transmission doesn't shift out of first (99% sure I know why). It's quiet enough inside to still talk. Comfy seats and suspension.
Maybe not so at higher speeds though...

Something is wrong...Everything is working :)

Well done....Look forward to more updates

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Something is wrong...Everything is working :)

Well done....Look forward to more updates
Trans doesn't shift out of first.
No light's on driver's fender (I will fit and wire after paint)
I'm not sure if it goes into 4wd or not.
Handbrake works. Brakes work - I forgot to mention them.

Oh I made a secondary throttle return spring too. Only light extra pressure, but improved feel greatly.

I'm sure there are other things that don't work for ya mate.
I added more tasks to the list tapped under bonnet. But I'm still over halfway through it.