Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deuce's new daily - 1970 series2a LWB

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Soft solder would be best.
New radiator works better :) and is a lot more reliable :cool:

( and reliability is what one wants in a 4x4 as Murphy will make sure goop or soft solder will fails when one is out in the sticks far from help :rolleyes: )

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
New radiator works better :) and is a lot more reliable :cool:

( and reliability is what one wants in a 4x4 as Murphy will make sure goop or soft solder will fails when one is out in the sticks far from help :rolleyes: )

This has been suggested earlier but I think Deuce decided the cost was too much.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
This has been suggested earlier but I think Deuce decided the cost was too much.
Priorities can change if Deuce ever experiences a breakdown in the middle of nowhere :eek:

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I hear what you guys are saying. But I'm already a ton in the hole with this truck. I really just want to go for a WOF check and see how we get on.
If it passes I do not mind putting a new radiator in later this year. I just don't want to fork out for a radiator now and then WOF check throws some other $$$ problem at me.

I really just need it to hold water until it is road legal. Anything after that is a bonus.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here’s some radiator repair viewing for your pleasure :p

Soldering and glue can be impacted negatively by not cleaning well enough. Me, I like the ghetto repair below as folding over pipework/tubes is something home aircon guys do to seal pressure in the system when pipes are cut :p

Problem you may have is the radiator looks heavily corroded so you may have lots of leaks to fix o_O

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Thanks @Skylarking I decided on the 2 tube metal epoxy resin as the solution.
I mixed it in a small plastic bag, cut the corner, shoved it close to where I need and squeezed bag with little needle nose pliers. Then used a nail as my applicator/negotiator to get it mostly where I need.
It was a bit tricky as it was sticky stuff and tight walls to get through to where I needed it.

Left it to dry, and then had a look with a torch and saw I had missed a small spot at the top of the split I was repairing.
No drama, scuff it up a bit, clean it, and try again.
I was setting up lights again, and did a big light from behind the radiator, snuck a peak to see how easy access was, and noticed this hole:
1647655814476.jpg

So decided I should take the radiator out before smearing more epoxy on it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Curious to see how it will hold up when sealed :)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
So got those ones sorted.
And now we are just down to a drip (maybe at a rate of one drip per second rather than the constant flow of previous hole)
1647765697666.jpg

It's not a problem visible from the back side. So I will let it dry and try again tomorrow to see if I can accurately find leak point from the front side.
Otherwise I will initiate plan:B