Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DFI Problem ?

Nin9VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99
My car (99 VT V6 - 115k/km) suddenly started running like crap, No power, rough idle and smells bad. It started when it was low on fuel so i changed the fuel filter thinking it might have sucked in dirt and blocked but did not fix it.

So i did a water spray test on the exhaust manifold after leaving it over night. Cylinders 2 and 5 look to be not firing also when i check the ignition wires with a automotive multi-meter with a ignition wire clamp no spark on 5 and signal on 2 but not sure how strong it is.

I changed the middle coil that is cylinders 2 and 5 but still running bad. The ignition wires and spark plugs are < 5000km old but i did change them to an old set for testing but still no luck, So next I'm thinking DFI module or CAS even ?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Possibly dirty/blocked fuel injectors.

How bad was the fuel filter?

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
My car (99 VT V6 - 115k/km) suddenly started running like crap, No power, rough idle and smells bad. It started when it was low on fuel so i changed the fuel filter thinking it might have sucked in dirt and blocked but did not fix it.

So i did a water spray test on the exhaust manifold after leaving it over night. Cylinders 2 and 5 look to be not firing also when i check the ignition wires with a automotive multi-meter with a ignition wire clamp no spark on 5 and signal on 2 but not sure how strong it is.

I changed the middle coil that is cylinders 2 and 5 but still running bad. The ignition wires and spark plugs are < 5000km old but i did change them to an old set for testing but still no luck, So next I'm thinking DFI module or CAS even ?
Also check the plug that goes onto the DFI module - see if any of the contacts are bent or pushed back.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
If you have an inspection camera and can take the spark plugs out have a look and see how wet the cylinders are.

My DFI suddenly went on me (randomly during the day so didnt find it until it restarted) and it sounded like a 5cyl car.
the 2 cylinders off the same coil werent firing as a result.
2nd hand DFI is around $60 or so.
Brand newey aftermarket at an auto store is $200+ from memory

Even swap the coil packs around to see if its the same ones that dont fire.
Pretty easy way to rule out the packs that way.

DFI Plug, contact cleaner the terminals, let it dry a few mins and put it back in.
Easiest way to remove any corrosion and contaminants.