Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diagnosing Slipped Cam Chain VE LEO 2006

OZTRAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 2006 AND 2008
After an attempted cleanup of this sludge buildup of the top end, when car was started it developed a misfire on 2/4/6 even at idle, mainly on 2 and 4 which the ECU then eventually turns off the associated fuel injector (I was able to confirm this with the SOLUS PRO functions)

So essentially the car is running on 4 out of 6 cylinders and wouldn't idle but steady at 2000 rpm till #6-cylinder cuts out and then engine stops. Every now and then all cylinders would star firing for about 30 secs then die again.

My mate swaps or replaces everything he can think of, plugs, PCVS, ignition coils, cam phaser control and sensor. Nothing helps.

I decide to do a compression check, 1/3/5 all good at 180 psi and pressure builds up within 2 or 3 engine revolutions.

Bank 2/4/6 also made 180 psi minimum but took 10 or more engine revolutions to reach 180 and in gradual increments, also was a strange popping sound separate from the compression gage. Sounded like from the inlet's passages on block.

I figured it had to be a valve timing issue and we removed front timing cover.

Bank2/4/6 cam chain tensioner was at full extension and still had slack in chain.
download (14).jpg

The sludge made it too hard to verify timing marks, but the cam chain became so tight and then very loose as engine was rotated by hand.

Forgot to mention earlier, the starter was unable to turn engine over every now and again, this now made sense as the 2/4/6 bank timing chain made it very hard to turn engine over with an extension bar in certain places. Seemed it was fighting the other cam timing chain.

At one point moving by hand, the timing chain slipped a few more teeth at the idler drive gear. So, i can't tell you how many teeth had slipped initially, but i would say at least 1 or 2 teeth on the cam idler gear minimum.

The other chains were not quite as worn, maybe tensioners were at 60-70% extension.
download (13).jpg

So, at this stage thinking this engine is a write-off, but found this FORUM and seeing some of the sludge buildups that had been successfully removed and that the compressions were good have decided to repair.
download (15).jpg

I also have a differential cylinder leak down tester, which is how we do aircraft engines, they are checked every 100 hours.

This would have revealed which valve was decreasing compression buildup, but I figured it was the inlet valves opening early.

Like maybe 20 degrees Ish.

So, in summary, a high-end diagnostic tool with waveform presentation and maintenance functions is invaluable to diagnose an unusual fault. My SOLUS PRO is pretty dated, and I only have software in it up to 2014 cars, bought it off a mechanic for $600 and added a few keys for BMW and other European cars.

Also, from what I have read on this and other forums, quite often the dealers are unable to completely diagnose faults correctly, before spending big $$$ on replacing parts unnecessarily. I think going to a good known independent diagnostic mechanic may be worth it in the long run.

OZTRAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 2006 AND 2008
Spent a few days now cleaning up sludge, also removed sump (no photos) but it was just as bad.
I read on this forum removing sump requires K frame or steering removal, but the front 2 bolts just need a ring spanner and one person underneath and another on top to remove, it's a bit slow and i guess having timing cover off helps.

Initially scraped loose sludge off but the stuff on the metal was pretty well stuck there.
I used a air powered cleaning spray gun and over the 3 days 60 liters of kerosene!!!!!!

Then various small wire brushes on battery drill running on lowest speed with kerosene spray down between cleaning attempts.
download (12).jpg

Final cleaning was spray bottle with parts cleaner from Supercheap ($40 for 4 liters) and cleaning brush.
Results were good.
download.jpg

Removed idler gears, camshafts and cam followers soaked in parts cleaner for 24 hours, clean off with kerosene spray gun and these came up clean as well.
download (6).jpg

Same deal with the top of the heads, bit hard to remove in places but again happy with the result.

download (4).jpg
download (5).jpg

Also cleaned with Kero gun all oil passages, had oil filter adapter removed.
Then sprayed all oil passages with air nozzle.

download (3).jpg

And the bottom crank area as well.

Have bought timing chain kit from REV HIGH, very happy with the quality.
Have installed camshafts and followers, tomorrow will install front timing chains and cover and sump.

Hopefully have done enough to save this engine.

regards
OZ

Simso1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega ute
Looks good, you also dont have a lot of wear on your camlobes, so you may have gotten it in time, I was at your exact point then assembled the engine back together with new chains tensioners oil pump water pump etc and when we started her it was a no go as the chain must have slipped on the cog at intitail breakdown enough to cause my whole left bank to have bent valves.

Simso1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega ute
My background is as an aircraft mechanic and the reciprocating engines we maintain are dead simple with no ECUs, cam chains and are air cooled.
My apprenticeship started on caribou aircraft which had 14cyl radial engines, car engines are so so different

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I consider you a very brave man to attack that mess.
I dare say I would probably have pulled that poor engine and tossed it for something else.
Well done and good luck with your final result.

OZTRAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 2006 AND 2008
My apprenticeship started on caribou aircraft which had 14cyl radial engines, car engines are so so different
My apprenticeship DC-3s with R1830s, 14 cylinders same deal, used to have to do valve clearance checks, took most of the day...............

Reactions: Lex

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
My apprenticeship DC-3s with R1830s, 14 cylinders same deal, used to have to do valve clearance checks, took most of the day...............
Do the sleeve timing on a Bristol Centaurus!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
We used to have one of those parked up at my local airfield but never saw it fly. I think it was broken up years ago now :(