Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diagnosing Slipped Cam Chain VE LEO 2006

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
We used to have one of those parked up at my local airfield but never saw it fly. I think it was broken up years ago now :(
We had a few at Essendon Airport, owned by BBA. They parked just outside of our apprentice training school.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
We used to have one of those parked up at my local airfield but never saw it fly. I think it was broken up years ago now :(
There was a RNZAF one at RAAF Richmond ( '69 > '70 ? ) which looked very old amongst the C130 Hercules and C141 Starlifters on the Vietnam runs.
Sat there for months looking unloved.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There was a RNZAF one at RAAF Richmond ( '69 > '70 ? ) which looked very old amongst the C130 Hercules and C141 Starlifters on the Vietnam runs.
Sat there for months looking unloved.

I'm going for a drive tomorrow just to scratch the curiosity itch.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
After an attempted cleanup of this sludge buildup of the top end, when car was started it developed a misfire on 2/4/6 even at idle, mainly on 2 and 4 which the ECU then eventually turns off the associated fuel injector (I was able to confirm this with the SOLUS PRO functions)

So essentially the car is running on 4 out of 6 cylinders and wouldn't idle but steady at 2000 rpm till #6-cylinder cuts out and then engine stops. Every now and then all cylinders would star firing for about 30 secs then die again.

My mate swaps or replaces everything he can think of, plugs, PCVS, ignition coils, cam phaser control and sensor. Nothing helps.

I decide to do a compression check, 1/3/5 all good at 180 psi and pressure builds up within 2 or 3 engine revolutions.

Bank 2/4/6 also made 180 psi minimum but took 10 or more engine revolutions to reach 180 and in gradual increments, also was a strange popping sound separate from the compression gage. Sounded like from the inlet's passages on block.

I figured it had to be a valve timing issue and we removed front timing cover.

Bank2/4/6 cam chain tensioner was at full extension and still had slack in chain.
View attachment 260120

The sludge made it too hard to verify timing marks, but the cam chain became so tight and then very loose as engine was rotated by hand.

Forgot to mention earlier, the starter was unable to turn engine over every now and again, this now made sense as the 2/4/6 bank timing chain made it very hard to turn engine over with an extension bar in certain places. Seemed it was fighting the other cam timing chain.

At one point moving by hand, the timing chain slipped a few more teeth at the idler drive gear. So, i can't tell you how many teeth had slipped initially, but i would say at least 1 or 2 teeth on the cam idler gear minimum.

The other chains were not quite as worn, maybe tensioners were at 60-70% extension.
View attachment 260121

So, at this stage thinking this engine is a write-off, but found this FORUM and seeing some of the sludge buildups that had been successfully removed and that the compressions were good have decided to repair.
View attachment 260122

I also have a differential cylinder leak down tester, which is how we do aircraft engines, they are checked every 100 hours.

This would have revealed which valve was decreasing compression buildup, but I figured it was the inlet valves opening early.

Like maybe 20 degrees Ish.

So, in summary, a high-end diagnostic tool with waveform presentation and maintenance functions is invaluable to diagnose an unusual fault. My SOLUS PRO is pretty dated, and I only have software in it up to 2014 cars, bought it off a mechanic for $600 and added a few keys for BMW and other European cars.

Also, from what I have read on this and other forums, quite often the dealers are unable to completely diagnose faults correctly, before spending big $$$ on replacing parts unnecessarily. I think going to a good known independent diagnostic mechanic may be worth it in the long run.
Nice work. It just amazes me how engines can get this bad. Why are people so unkind?
If you are going to use diesel oil to try to clean up the remaining sludge then make sure you don't use E10 fuel. Diesel oils are designed to be compatible with diesel fuel not alcohol.
I think there's à chance that on of the causes of so much sludge is people running oil types that aren't compatible with their chosen fuel, and the previous owner must be a serious cheap skate to as it seems, not service the car for so long, and so being such as tight arse I suspect they were running it in the cheapest fuel at the Bowser which we all know is.... E10.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
My apprenticeship started on caribou aircraft which had 14cyl radial engines, car engines are so so different
My favourite RAAF plane. They would come in so low over the house, you could see the pilots. Playing golf at Laverton, it was a highlight to have to wait for a Caribou to land. It was before an air show and they practiced the front wheel thing. I love their sound. I love their shape. Great plane.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
When the Hercs took off, sometimes you could smell the Kero/Av gas as they went over the back yard in Hoppers.

It’s all houses now. No more RAAF Laverton as it was.

There was the day 3 Mirage buzzed low over Hoppers and the base at super low level and very high speed. Dad said the pilots had their arses kicked. Broke windows across Hoppers Crossing. Damaged windows at Laverton as well.

I recall they were flying faster than Mach1 because I saw them go over and then the noise.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I recall they were flying faster than Mach1 because I saw them go over and then the noise.
No sonic boom?
I was sitting on a Gold Coast beach one summer in the mid 80's when 2 F4 Phantoms were heading north, just offshore and low, flashed past at a very high speed. No noise, until an almighty boom! Definitely ballistic. Gave me good goosebumps.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm going for a drive tomorrow just to scratch the curiosity itch.

Itch scratched but the old girl is long gone.

Ardmore airport was privatized over a decade ago now, and it's been many years since I've been there. Lots of changes, lots has been cleaned up, old hangers gone and new development going on. It used to be the busiest airport in NZ but it seems quiet there now.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
No sonic boom?
I was sitting on a Gold Coast beach one summer in the mid 80's when 2 F4 Phantoms were heading north, just offshore and low, flashed past at a very high speed. No noise, until an almighty boom! Definitely ballistic. Gave me good goosebumps.
I used to love the dump and burn of the F111s. They would normally do a practice run here beforehand so Ipswich would get its own dump and burn display. Riverfire isn’t the same without them anymore.