Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Did I get ripped off

2deadly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz commodore ss 5.7lt
I just paid 650 bucks to have my map sensor and oil pressure switch replaced on my vz ss, this is my first v8 so I'm pretty new to this engine. Just wondering if I got ripped off or not.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Under $200 in parts and less than 30 minutes to change both, you sure did get ripped off.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If the parts are genuine/dealership parts that price is probably correct. Likely will also charge a minimum of 1hr labour at $100/hr. You get a breakdown on your reciept?

Parts you could have pretty easily changed yourself though, what were the symptoms?

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
It depends what you asked the mechanic to do.

If you asked them to replaced part X and Y, yes it looks a little steep.
If you asked them to diagnose a symptom/fault, then you need to factor in the labour time it took to diagnose the problem, test drive, use equipment etc. Depending on the symptom (or lack of symptom) the amount could be right.

2deadly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz commodore ss 5.7lt
@vr304 hey mate Nah just a local performance mechanic, @_R_J_K_ and Mechanic it was stalling just after start up then just wouldn't start so yeah I didn't think about the part where he had to diagnose and stuff. So yeah could be about right, haven't had a proper read of the receipt haha

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
About $170 for genuine parts on ebay, did he scan the codes first if so he would of charged for that and to clear the codes. Times are tuff with corona so might be double time rates.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
How is this relevant to the thread?
What does that actually mean they sent for ole mate and you know it how much do you mark up parts? how long would they have worked on it for ? They cant have worked it on for more than 2 hours surely?

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Referencing eBay parts in this instance is akin to referencing the cost of a pair of scissors when talking about an expensive haircut, or buying your own scalpel when talking about surgery.

eBay is the last place I’d go to buy parts for a customers car. Unknown quality and long delivery time being the two problems that come to mind.

As for markup, generally 30% above my buy price, which ends up being about the same price you can buy it for retail at dealer or Repco, maybe a tad more.

But markup scales between 200% for small bits (<$10) to 10% for expensive parts (>$1500).