Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff and gearbox service intivals

bbunnys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VFII SS
Does Holden have service intervals for the VF2 SS diff and gearbox oils. Ive read through service book and cant see in it service intervals where its changed.

Ive got a W375 manual and getting a cam put in it this week. Going to change manual gearbox oil at the same time. Just shop say the manual comes with same oil as the auto and there are better oils for manual box.
But should I look at doing diff oil also while its there?
Car 3 years old and done 35k. Just with more power in it, want to keep it lubed well.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Yep the manual gearboxes run auto trans fluid in them and Penrite pro gear 70w75 is a far better alternative to the atf you’ll notice the difference nearly straight away with shifting etc, give it a couple of hundred kms and it gets better again as for diff oil wouldn’t hurt to do that at the same time

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I did both gearbox and diff at 50k km.

Gearbox oil wasn’t too bad but feels better with penrite pro gear.

Diff was fairly black and smelled bad. Again replaced with penrite pro gear however I went 75w90 instead of 75w85 as it’s standard weight for the HSV and is more suitable for hard driving and track temps. Also HSV recommendation is change every 60k km.

bbunnys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VFII SS
I did both gearbox and diff at 50k km.

Gearbox oil wasn’t too bad but feels better with penrite pro gear.

Diff was fairly black and smelled bad. Again replaced with penrite pro gear however I went 75w90 instead of 75w85 as it’s standard weight for the HSV and is more suitable for hard driving and track temps. Also HSV recommendation is change every 60k km.

Ok perfect thanks. I’ll stick to the 50-60k like HSV with good oil.