Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black oil after 2000kms

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I bought a higher km VF calais, and the service intervals were a bit longer.

I changed the oil and filter immediately when i bought it, and just changed again after 2000kms as i figured it needs more regular changes.

I intended to change at 5,000kms after this, but wondered as the oil as so black if i should do 2,000 km changes a few times, or do the intended 5,000?

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I bought a higher km VF calais, and the service intervals were a bit longer.

I changed the oil and filter immediately when i bought it, and just changed again after 2000kms as i figured it needs more regular changes.

I intended to change at 5,000kms after this, but wondered as the oil as so black if i should do 2,000 km changes a few times, or do the intended 5,000?
Any service records? How many K’s?

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Looks like it needs a proper clean out if a lot of solids are being dislodged from oil pathways. Can you stick your finger or better still a borescope into the oil filler to look for crap build up on internals?
Frequent changes of oil in your situation to my thinking is cheap "insurance".

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Any service records? How many K’s?
Yes it had service records, but a few 20-30k intervals.
it has 277,000 kms.

because of the high kms and larger service intervals i dont want to use a engine cleaner pre oil change in case theres lots of **** inside and it clogs

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like it needs a proper clean out if a lot of solids are being dislodged from oil pathways. Can you stick your finger or better still a borescope into the oil filler to look for crap build up on internals?
Frequent changes of oil in your situation to my thinking is cheap "insurance".
No such tools…….

Another change in another 2000kms it is

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
No such tools…….

Another change in another 2000kms it is
The thing is, if it is gunked up inside I don’t think frequent oil changes will clean it. There was a thread some time ago about a similar situation, and the guy put a cleaning agent through his engine a couple of times. I can’t remember the result, but I don’t think it did any harm.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
The thing is, if it is gunked up inside I don’t think frequent oil changes will clean it. There was a thread some time ago about a similar situation, and the guy put a cleaning agent through his engine a couple of times. I can’t remember the result, but I don’t think it did any harm.
Yes I read that. It was diesel from memory.

I don’t want to go to that extreme.

Car runs well, no signs giving me concern just wanted to take precautions within reason

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It would worth using diesel oil for a couple of oil changes it will clean it a fair bit quicker.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Modern synthetic oils have decent detergents in them that will clean the engine and suspend the particles in the oil.

If it was me I would be inclined to just continue with shortened oil change intervals rather than aggressively cleaning it and potentially causing issues.

If the oil gently cleans the engine and suspends most of the fine particles in the oil then it’s better than having chunks of gunk floating around the engine.