Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff Cradles and Control Arms

Jenszyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute 3.8 Manual
I have been trying to figure out what diff cradle and controll arms i can bolt into my VU ute so i can have the toe adjusting arms to reduce the tyre wear.
I know that the sedan has different shock mounts and the wagon/ute use the same cradle but i have heard that they have different track widths.
I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some solid info because i have been looking for an answer to this for too long and am tired of driving around on stockies looking like a hoon to save money on tyres.
Any help is much appreciated

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Or fit a 4 point camber kit and be done with it.
Don't go stupid low otherwise nothing will help.

Jenszyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute 3.8 Manual
I did that but i cheaped out and got and eBay knock off that was an absolute nightmare and wouldn't adjust properly. I got it worked out eventually but it still had a fair whack of camber in her.
I am sure that with a proper camber kit i could get a bit more accurate adjustment out of it i am just curious if the wagon cradle idea will work, if i get a bit more money in id rather go all out and have it as good as i can.
I dont want to go any lower that what it is, it has ssl's in the front (i hate them and want sl's ASAP) and sedan ssl's in the back that sit at sl height and are a bit stiffer for towing and such.
Soon i am going to put a propper 4 point camber kit in and leave it at that but if i get the cradle later on i can just pull out the kit and slap it in the new one.

Jenszyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute 3.8 Manual
That might be the go then, thanks man that is exactly what i was looking for.
What brand kit did you have?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Used Superpro in my VY and VQ. Both were 4 point and were great. Just make sure whoever is aligning it knows how to do it properly otherwise you run the risk of rooting your diff. (adjusted too much)

Jenszyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute 3.8 Manual
Thats what i was going to use, thanks man great help. Ill be sure to ask the guy i know but im pretty sure he has done ample amounts of them because he was the one who told me to get them but you never know.
Cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I did that but i cheaped out and got and eBay knock off that was an absolute nightmare and wouldn't adjust properly. I got it worked out eventually but it still had a fair whack of camber in her.
I am sure that with a proper camber kit i could get a bit more accurate adjustment out of it i am just curious if the wagon cradle idea will work, if i get a bit more money in id rather go all out and have it as good as i can.
I dont want to go any lower that what it is, it has ssl's in the front (i hate them and want sl's ASAP) and sedan ssl's in the back that sit at sl height and are a bit stiffer for towing and such.
Soon i am going to put a propper 4 point camber kit in and leave it at that but if i get the cradle later on i can just pull out the kit and slap it in the new one.

Having a toe adjuster + a 4 point camber kit is pointless.....The 4 point is used for toe and camber.....

Toe isn't the main reason for the inner edge wear on these....It's camber.....And you admitted your mistake....Bought a crappy kit through fleabay, which probably had crappy bushes, which were too soft and not allowing full adjustment, to stand the wheel up, properly.

Personally I fit a lot of K-mac ones and haven't had any complaints yet from customers

Finally...Stuffing a diff through not adjusting it properly....Never heard that one before, so I'll add it to the files, under the heading of rubbish....Strangely enough I've been doing wheel alignments since before these cars were thought of and have had these IRS equipped cars in, with bent control arms and the diff and C.V's are still perfectly fine.....Some of the owners have had them for a few years like that and are too stingy to replace a couple of arms....

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I'm just going on what i was told from someone who aligned them for a living. Something to do with having no float between the cv's on suspension travel.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm just going on what i was told from someone who aligned them for a living. Something to do with having no float between the cv's on suspension travel.

Well unfortunately for you, this 2nd hand information happens to be wrong......