Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff into HQ?

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
Cool thxs mate, I'll tell him. my oldman just had a operation on his back, so the Q will be on hold for a while thanks heaps guys for you help, very much appreciated Cheers Jason.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Yes, you can bolt the disc brake set up straight onto the existing diff, however you will need to change either the wheel bearings or the complete axles as the wheel bearing is different on a disc brake set up. You can use the disc brake set up from any HX-WB (including statesman).

I think it was only statesman's (hz-wb) that had disks on the back good luck finding 1 then more than likely it wont be 3.36 (also hard to find now), either talk to hoppers stoppers there right into brake conversions or go the commie diff conversion and get the axles re-drilled to hq pattern. Don´t know what ratios v8 commodores then there will be proportional valve , master cylinder and ginger beers
I been trying to find a wb statesmen disk brake diff and axles for yonks cant even find a 2.6 (not that I want 2.6 but that's what most would have been).
My old tonner HZ 308 turbo 400 factory air power steering has drums on the back , I don´t think disks where an option back in 79.
If you go a commodore diff go vs or after when did the hand brake become all 1 piece that type

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I think you will find that prems could be optioned up with 4 wheel discs. You must be looking in the wrong places because WB statesman disc brake set-ups aren't that hard to find.

Doesn't matter what ratio he finds as it will all bolt straight onto his existing 3.36 diff.

You can also bolt a Commodore disc brake set-up onto a Salisbury, all you need to do is have the backing plate machined down where it bolts behind the axle to the same thickness as a drum brake backing plate so the drum brake bearing & seal works. Everything else will bolt straight up, all you need to do is get a custom handbrake cable made up. I did this many years ago on the back of my Torana with a Salisbury, worked a treat (Now i run Commodore axles, so no mods are needed).

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
The 3.36 diff is a v8 diff, we change the diffs cause it use to have a 6's in it but now its going to have a 308. 2morrow i'll let him know. tthanks heaps guys.