Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff oil - needs change or not ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just went for a spirited 20mn drive and dropped diff oil. I'm a sucker for punishment. Hit my head on exhaust and have a nice lump on me head :mad:
But the diff now has nice clean oil in it :p

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
So for me, 1 x 2.5ltr bottle did 2 refills. I have around 100mls left. I filled the diff until oil starting weeping from the fill plug. It's still slowly dripping out. Will wait till it's stopped and then do it up. Car is level on jack stands.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Yuck, but diff oil colour aside, was there any crud (bits of clutch pack material and metal) in the bottom of your oil drain pan after the process?

I'd think some oil would be stuck to diff walls, clutch packs and gears so not all comes out but how much is left in i have no idea :rolleyes:
(Some also pump a little clean oil into diff and let it drain out to flush any remaining crud, though probably not needed other than it sooths OCD :p)

Since you had just the rear lifted, and maybe a little bit of oil still within the diff, i'd probably would have considered only putting in what I took out. Than i'd check oil level when the car is on the level as i have no idea if overfilled is worse than underfilled for a diff.

Also, does extra diff additive need to be added (as warrick asked)? I always though LSD oil had the additives an LSD needed :)

I had the car level and jacked up today. Nothing came out so it's not overfilled. The level is good. So yeah....As long as the diff takes about 1.3L no need to worry about the level.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
I booked my SS for my last scheduled service whilst the car is under warranty.
Car's done 51k

Does the diff oil need to be changed ?
Should I get the dealer to do it ?
Is it easy DIY job?

I just dont like the idea of not changing it all....

Service booklet does not mention it at all in terms of service schedule....
dude i just dropped mine at 50kms and the mechanic was laughing at me saying how I was a fool.... it should be done till 100 or more even - that was until he saw what came out and he ate his words. it was filthy! full of metallic. the gearbox oil looked newer than new by contrast.

degeneration

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sportwagon
Last time I changed diff oil was on an EK commodore. Does this particular model have a magnet in the diff?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I had the car level and jacked up today. Nothing came out so it's not overfilled. The level is good. So yeah....As long as the diff takes about 1.3L no need to worry about the level.
Yes done my Caprice V and VE Anniversity. Same here As I added enough Penrite oil until it was coming out from the top hole, Let it come out until it was a Dribble and by the look at it it was around 1.25 or 1.30 Ltrs. By the way the 2008 VE Anniversary that had done 157900 K (close/nearly 100,000 Miles) never had the oil changed in the Diff. The Oil was fair and had about 1.20 ltrs in it and the outside of the diff was bone dry.
(off Topic but)
Hey Ron are you on Whirlpool forums of is there Another Ron Burgundy looking to buy a TV.