Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

differnce between Vy series 1 and 2 Calais?

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive series 2
Hi all, can anyone tell me the difference between a series one and series 2 calais in the VY series. The reason i ask is a good mate of mines son just bought a vy and we are trying to find out if it is a 1 or 2 as he wants to apply for the vicroads exemption to drive it if it is a series 1.

He paid about $5000 more than it was worth i reckon and i am sure the seller was glad to make the sale.

I can't understand why he bought it really as he was told it is a series 2 which he is banned from driving until he is 21 (currently he is 18) he just doesn't seem to care and has the "it won't happen to me attitude" Is this a common thing with youngsters driving cars they are banned from driving?

It has leather seats if that makes

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 5.7 litre V8 is 225KW series 2 V8 is 235KW, also slightly different interior, also I believe LSD became standard on the Calais in the VY2

gluten3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY L67
VY2 Calais got the "FE1.5" susupension that was in between standard and FE2. Continued for VZ Calais, but not VE.

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series two has drivers electric seat as standard - series 1 didn't. According to Redbook.com.au

Series1:
Redbook
Series2:
Redbook

Mainly a face lift and a change of rim design. Pretty sure your mates son got a series 1 - sounds like it would have been thrashed a fair bit as well.

I have a series 1 calais 5.7 litre V8 build date november 2002 it has factory front electric seats they are factory the cars original , you should not believe everything redbook tells you

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 5.7 litre V8 is 225KW series 2 V8 is 235KW, also slightly different interior, also I believe LSD became standard on the Calais in the VY2
VY2 Calais got the "FE1.5" susupension that was in between standard and FE2. Continued for VZ Calais, but not VE.

Whatever mate there is no such thing as FE 1.5 , series 2 calais got FE2 suspension

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Whatever mate there is no such thing as FE 1.5 , series 2 calais got FE2 suspension
You need to go and have a good check of your references, mate. The VY2 Calais got FE 1.5, a special slightly firmer setup specifically for the Calais. FE 2 could probably be optioned but it wasn't standard.