Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Direct Injection VE Series 2 or VF?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
SlickHolden said:
They could but i doubt it would do much good. I was told by a little birdy that Ford Oz would use a V6 engine 2morrow if they could only get decent power and torque from it.

The Ford boss had confirmed they will keep the same 4.0L engine for the 2008 Falcon (Orion) although with slight alterations. So it WILL be a straight 6 still, not a V6.

Rumours are they might destroke it back to a 3.6L also, making the bore and stroke exactly even.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
klaw81 said:
Straight 6 or V6 makes absolutely no difference to power and/or torque. As far as efficiency goes, there's no noticeable difference. Ford hasn't used a V6 in a Falcon simply because there's hasn't been a suitable V6 block to work with, and it costs way too much to develop a new one from scratch. Besides, their whole chassis architecture is set up for a straight 6.

There are advantages and disadvantages to using a V configuration.
A V6 needs a short, wide engine bay and can be positioned further behind the front axle for better weight distribution.
A straight six needs a long narrow engine bay but is much easier to balance for smooth running.

Mercedes & BMW have the same argument - Mercedes things V6's have more advantages, BMW is sticking with the straight 6.
Yes thats what i said:D If they could slot a V6 in that had 200kw and 400Nm they would tomorrow or for the 08 Falcon. But have you seen the size of the Falcon 6:eek: It's long it's wide it's ****en huge. They could do with a V6.
1991_Vn2nV said:
The Ford boss had confirmed they will keep the same 4.0L engine for the 2008 Falcon (Orion) although with slight alterations. So it WILL be a straight 6 still, not a V6.

Rumours are they might destroke it back to a 3.6L also, making the bore and stroke exactly even.
So are they talking about a 3.6lt and 4lt?

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
SlickHolden said:
Yes thats what i said:D If they could slot a V6 in that had 200kw and 400Nm they would tomorrow or for the 08 Falcon. But have you seen the size of the Falcon 6:eek: It's long it's wide it's ****en huge. They could do with a V6.

So are they talking about a 3.6lt and 4lt?
They're nearly there now - 190kW and 383Nm for the standard straight-six. The new OHC introduced for BA has worked wonders for what is basically a 30-year old engine design. The only advantage to changing to a V6 would be to improve weight distribution....at an enormous development cost.

I have no doubt at all that with some more fine tuning, the old clanger could be good for 200kW and 400Nm for Orion. No surprises that they're sticking with the tried and tested 4L - albeit alongside a diesel option (?) and possibly also including direct injection.

The standard Falcon motor isn't really all that massive, it's just sitting in an engine bay designed to fit a 5.4L V8...there's no reason to make it compact (there's heaps of room available) so it's all spread out for easier servicing.

I would be very surprised if they introduce a 2-tier engine option in Orion. Ford has no history of 2 different displacement 6-cylinder engines in their line-up. If it's a 3.6L, it will be 3.6L in all cars...perhaps with a more powerful version for XR6 and luxury models.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
The rumours arent about a 2-tier engine option...

The rumours I heard were they would de-stroke the 4.0L engine... having a 3.6L option only. No 4.0L engine anymore.

But that was just a rumour. The Straight 6 will definitely remain with some alterations. Whether this is direct injection, alloy block or destroked who knows :p

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
klaw81 said:
They're nearly there now - 190kW and 383Nm for the standard straight-six. The new OHC introduced for BA has worked wonders for what is basically a 30-year old engine design. The only advantage to changing to a V6 would be to improve weight distribution....at an enormous development cost.

I have no doubt at all that with some more fine tuning, the old clanger could be good for 200kW and 400Nm for Orion. No surprises that they're sticking with the tried and tested 4L - albeit alongside a diesel option (?) and possibly also including direct injection.

The standard Falcon motor isn't really all that massive, it's just sitting in an engine bay designed to fit a 5.4L V8...there's no reason to make it compact (there's heaps of room available) so it's all spread out for easier servicing.

I would be very surprised if they introduce a 2-tier engine option in Orion. Ford has no history of 2 different displacement 6-cylinder engines in their line-up. If it's a 3.6L, it will be 3.6L in all cars...perhaps with a more powerful version for XR6 and luxury models.
Ahh mate if you seen my brothers BA you wouldn't say it's not that big, The older model he owned EF was tinny compared to this monster.
But my brother will tell you this it's not over the moon impressive, It has some of the old engines drone sound still the DOHC is noisy and for such a big powerful and high torque engine it's very slow to 70-80. It's a touch like giving the old lady born in 1903 a new set of clothes 2006 clothes, The I6 does cut back some of there options up front and the V8 is that wide you can't even change headers without removing the engine. They have got to have the 2 biggest 6's and 8's going around.
I don't like the sound of a 3.6lt taking over from the 4lt. Some mates had to be slapped around the head to believe holden uses a 3.6lt now and not a 3.8lt engine.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
There's an EF & BA Falcon at home....the BA motor is almost exactly the same size as the EF since the blocks are all but identical - it's about 90mm higher to accomodate the OHC but the width is unchanged. It looks bigger because of the intake and exhaust shrouds on the BA. Despite the extra power, the BA isn't so quick because the whole car is so damn heavy. Drive the 2 cars back to back and you'll see why the BA is the better car by far, extra weight notwithstanding. But the old 4L is nearing the end - they need to replace it sooner rather than later.

It is actually possible to fit headers to the BA/BF V8's but it's the devil's own job.

The Omega engine, whether its a 3.6L or a 4L, will definitely have the same or more power and torque than the current I6...there's no way they will go backwards, the market wouldn't stand for it. Direct injection is one of the options they will be looking at to improve fuel economy while improving output.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
klaw81 said:
There's an EF & BA Falcon at home....the BA motor is almost exactly the same size as the EF since the blocks are all but identical - it's about 90mm higher to accomodate the OHC but the width is unchanged. It looks bigger because of the intake and exhaust shrouds on the BA. Despite the extra power, the BA isn't so quick because the whole car is so damn heavy. Drive the 2 cars back to back and you'll see why the BA is the better car by far, extra weight notwithstanding. But the old 4L is nearing the end - they need to replace it sooner rather than later.

It is actually possible to fit headers to the BA/BF V8's but it's the devil's own job.

The Omega engine, whether its a 3.6L or a 4L, will definitely have the same or more power and torque than the current I6...there's no way they will go backwards, the market wouldn't stand for it. Direct injection is one of the options they will be looking at to improve fuel economy while improving output.

You mean the Orion engine :p

As said the current 4.0L will still be the same engine in the Orion, just with minor changes. It wont be an all new engine and there are no plans in the making for one either according to the Ford Australia Boss.