Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bt1turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Genuine VL BT1 Turbo
Spray painting isnt as easy as that mate, firstly, setup is expensive you will need: Air Compressor (good high capacity one needed) $200-600, Gun (for best results you want a good gravity fed gun) $200-400, Sand Paper $200, A good dust and debris free space that is not damp or moist and has very good ventilation, Paint $400. To buy all your own equipment for a one off job, is a little pointless as add a couple more hundred and you could have it done by a pro. This isn't counting the fact you will also need someone to cut it back first, as without a booth it will be covered in overspray and then polish it which is around $100-200.

CustomSprayMods

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute Series 2
I resprayed a car and bought all the equipment needed including gun compressor and buffing machine for under $1100

Here is the video of me doing it.

A complete colour change I did it just for practice.
I would like to know how much it cost to do it with rollers.
At least doing it this way with this price you end up with a compressor a gun and a buffing machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excale

Aussie N Proud!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5sp Manual[SOLD], VN V6[SOLD],VR S 5sp
^^ thats a really good video, i watched it all

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
I resprayed a car and bought all the equipment needed including gun compressor and buffing machine for under $1100

Here is the video of me doing it.

A complete colour change I did it just for practice.
I would like to know how much it cost to do it with rollers.
At least doing it this way with this price you end up with a compressor a gun and a buffing machine.

Heaps of people have said the amount it costs in this thread and it ranges from $70 up. Bit of a jump from $70 to $1100!

Painting properly will most likely achieve a better result but this method appears practical for people who don't want to shell out big bucks! This method also appears a lot easier for the in experienced painter (not to mention cheaper if you stuff it up).

Last edited by a moderator:

Skeptical

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Getting together the materials at the moment. I have now heard that apparently TOPLAC is not very good so I am not sure what paint I am going to pick up.

One question, Prep Solve, what exactly is it and where can I pick it up. I have a feeling I am going to kick myself when I get an answer.

Also instead of turps can I use White Spirits? I read about it in another thread and picked up a bottle.

Thanks!

EDIT : Also what is the name of a good Primer to use for the job. Thank you!

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Reading this thread again just proves something again to me. Anyone can have a showroom shine for not much bucks if they are willing to put in the effort.

To sum up a little though.. the reason this paintjob looks great is because the painter put in the effort, pure and simple. The same methods apply to spraypainting, regardless of which paint you apply.

You can roll it on, spray it on, brush it on, or wipe it on with a rag, it doesnt matter. If you are willing to keep rubbing it back and keep recoating, eventually you will have a perfect paint job.

Rolling it on will apply the paint more thickly, but less evenly. More rubbing back per coat, but possibly less coats, longer drying time between coats due to the thickness of the paint.

Spraying it on will apply the paint less thickly, but more evenly. Less rubbing back per coat, as many or more coats, but a shorter drying time between coats.

The object is to apply the paint and make it smooth. How you apply the paint (and what kind of paint you use) is up to you, but if you are willing to do the rubbing back then any paint can be applied with any method to get a fabulous result. You just keep applying it and keep rubbing it back until you get what you want.

Give it a shot people, its only paint. You mess it up, you rub it back and do it again.

CustomSprayMods

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute Series 2
Its so funny to even think of rolling on automotive paint.

Sanding for days and days is pretty hard work.

If you like spending months on a job that should take 2 weeks max for the same result to save some money then grab yourself a roller.

Also you cant (I dont think you can) roll metallic or pearl colours and get a good finish so you are limited to colours.

I have total respect for the gentleman who got this result with this method and anyone else who has in the past.
But im sure it wasnt easy or the most practical method.
Its awesome to see people keen on even thinking about doing any kind of body work themselves DIY is great. Keep up the good work.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hey not saying I would choose to use a roller. Bugger that lol. Just saying that anyone can paint a car, if they have the time and determination. The difference between a good finish and a bad finish is hard yakka, both before and after painting.

This thread proves it. Far too much hard work for my liking, but it proves you can do anything if you are willing to get stuck into it.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Its so funny to even think of rolling on automotive paint.

Sanding for days and days is pretty hard work.

If you like spending months on a job that should take 2 weeks max for the same result to save some money then grab yourself a roller.

Also you cant (I dont think you can) roll metallic or pearl colours and get a good finish so you are limited to colours.

I have total respect for the gentleman who got this result with this method and anyone else who has in the past.
But im sure it wasnt easy or the most practical method.
Its awesome to see people keen on even thinking about doing any kind of body work themselves DIY is great. Keep up the good work.

Read the actual thread and you may have a better understanding! You have already asked about cost that has been mentioned a few times so you clearly have not read much. You would also know that no one is trying to roll metallic or pearl and that no one is after a show car result. Marine paint covers some of the minor imperfections that normal spray paint would not - less prep.

We get it, you spray cars and you get a better result :clapping: The people trailing this method have obviously got the desire to achieve something that doesn't cost a fortune. You will hardly see a VE HSV painted with rollers anytime soon though

bt1turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Genuine VL BT1 Turbo
Read the actual thread and you may have a better understanding! You have already asked about cost that has been mentioned a few times so you clearly have not read much. You would also know that no one is trying to roll metallic or pearl and that no one is after a show car result. Marine paint covers some of the minor imperfections that normal spray paint would not - less prep.

We get it, you spray cars and you get a better result :clapping: The people trailing this method have obviously got the desire to achieve something that doesn't cost a fortune. You will hardly see a VE HSV painted with rollers anytime soon though
No need to be so damn rude about it. He was in no way rude to you, a bit of respect wouldn't go astray. He is just simply stating the limitation of colours, and that he would not personally choose this method and maybe putting it out there that there is other options available. Ease up hero..