Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do i REALLY need shortened shocks?!

elnightmare

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2008
Thankyou, thats exactly what i was asking!

the bumpy ride doesnt bother me, its a wagon bounces like a biarch anyway

elnightmare

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2008
I had SSSL on the sedan with stock shocks, and i had no issues. nothing fell out :')
BUT, i got a good quote on SSSL ready for a cruise/photoshoot etc, ill be buying shortened shock within the weeks after install.

Thanks ladies for your help :)

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
There is a possibility that a longer shock could allow a spring to fall out. This would only happen if the suspension ever flexed enough & if the shock was long enough (can happen on 4wd's with much longer than standard shock length).

The shock's will have a shorter life span if they are not running in their optimum height range eg: running to high or running to low, hence why manufacturers have different shock lengths.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
There is a possibility that a longer shock could allow a spring to fall out. This would only happen if the suspension ever flexed enough & if the shock was long enough (can happen on 4wd's with much longer than standard shock length).

The shock's will have a shorter life span if they are not running in their optimum height range eg: running to high or running to low, hence why manufacturers have different shock lengths.

Have you even seen VE rear suspension??? The **only** way for the spring to come out is if the shock is physically not there :bang:

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Have you even seen VE rear suspension??? The **only** way for the spring to come out is if the shock is physically not there :bang:

No I haven't, so you could have just suggested for me to look at a VE's rear suspension setup, instead of being a prick.

Last edited:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
"There is a possibility that a longer shock could allow a spring to fall out. This would only happen if the suspension ever flexed enough & if the shock was long enough (can happen on 4wd's with much longer than standard shock length)."

How ####ing direct do I need to be.

Why are you talking about 4wd's with a completly different suspension style to a VE...in a thread asking about VE suspension?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
the bumpy ride doesnt bother me, its a wagon bounces like a biarch anyway

You can still have a bumpy ride with new shocks just the rebound will be controlled.

I had SSSL on the sedan with stock shocks, and i had no issues. nothing fell out

I'm assuming this was on another Commodore as the lowering on standard shocks is mainly a VE thing as they have differently designed shocks and suspension to other Commodores.

+1

Why are you talking about 4wd's with a completly different suspension style to a VE...in a thread asking about VE suspension?

Agree lets stick to VEs and expirence with VE suspension for the lady.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
"There is a possibility that a longer shock could allow a spring to fall out. This would only happen if the suspension ever flexed enough & if the shock was long enough (can happen on 4wd's with much longer than standard shock length)."

How ####ing direct do I need to be.

Well **** - a bird going thru a 747 jet engine will cause both the death of the bird and destroy the engine. I thought I'd just point that out as it's about as relevant :rolleyes:

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
So I just read that the VE's have a coilover setup, so looks like my comment was yes in fact not relevant to this suspension style.

Last edited: