Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does untuned better flowing intake result in loss of low end torque

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
the vcm OTR was 22kw gain without a tune, then more then likely gained the extra 20kw because the TM wasnt removing timing from the change in airflow it saw, if the tune was set without any TM torque reduction from factory the gains would be minimal from the tune but more from the OTR as even adding it to a stock tune can take out even more timing because it has even more torque to deal with and remove, if the limit is 200nm torque and u add more airflow it will increase the torque output so it will then have to remove even more timing to get back to the same 200nm limit,
i prob should have added once u are tuned then adding performance parts makes the bigger difference then the tune, the factory tune has limits that need to be removed to make use of any added airflow, also changing the intake then needs the MAF to be adjusted as it only suits the factory intake for fueling, the MAF dosnt tell the ecu how much air is flowing in its not a set figure, the frequency it puts out is against a table u can adjust that then tells the ecu how much airflow is going in so if u use a bigger intake diameter it will slow the airflow over the maf so it will read lower then it should so then has to be adjusted in the tune
Ohh ok. I obviously wasn’t paying attention properly the first time! 22kw gain using the stock tune is pretty decent then.

So the tune seems to gain you around 16-18kw and the OTR gets you around 20 odd kws.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
the vcm OTR was 22kw gain without a tune, then more then likely gained the extra 20kw because the TM wasnt removing timing from the change in airflow it saw, if the tune was set without any TM torque reduction from factory the gains would be minimal from the tune but more from the OTR as even adding it to a stock tune can take out even more timing because it has even more torque to deal with and remove, if the limit is 200nm torque and u add more airflow it will increase the torque output so it will then have to remove even more timing to get back to the same 200nm limit,
i prob should have added once u are tuned then adding performance parts makes the bigger difference then the tune, the factory tune has limits that need to be removed to make use of any added airflow, also changing the intake then needs the MAF to be adjusted as it only suits the factory intake for fueling, the MAF dosnt tell the ecu how much air is flowing in its not a set figure, the frequency it puts out is against a table u can adjust that then tells the ecu how much airflow is going in so if u use a bigger intake diameter it will slow the airflow over the maf so it will read lower then it should so then has to be adjusted in the tune
It wouldn’t be the first time where a tune can unleash hidden power that the hardware could produce but the factory didn’t want people to have (as it was a preplanned tuned “upgrade” for the next models... masked by visible but useless hardware mods)... I vaguely remember Ford did this quote some years ago and owners found substantial gains with a tune to the dislike of the company.

In Holden’s case it sounds like the conservative, pollution compliant, warranty friendly and torque limited factory tune is there to be improved upon for better driver response without spending $$ on hardware. But for many, where’s the fun in that, nothing (for others) to see here, move on :p

Jokes aside, I’d be interested to know what removal of the factory’s warranty survivalist torque limited approach would result in if the engine was allowed to run free... would we get more torque down low? would throttle response be improved? How far could we advance timing and at what gain for what compromise (obviously tuning for only 98 but what else ESC kicking in all the time?).

It’s a reasonable question but companies are interested in selling so it’s hard to get an answer. That 22kw is an interesting figure but where, rpm wise, is the gain? I wouldn’t give two hoots if it was at 5300RPM as I don’t live there on the street but much more interested if it was at 1500 - 2000RPM.

So just curious how far the factory hardware can be pushed, especially down low, with only software fiddles without resorting to hardware mods.

As to MAF sensor, I’ve always understood it just measures air speed which then needs to be translated to an airflow volume via a look up table. As such changing plumbing requires changing tables to end up with a correct volume, otherwise the system gets more air than it calculates so you end up running lean... which the 02 sensors pick up and correct... how much margin the 02 sensors can correct via STFT and LTFT I have no idea as a limit must exist somewhere (Y2K anyone)... As is, it can’t be good to let the pollution system dictate the changed fuelling needs for a modded engine, hence the need to tune... But there is so so much I don’t understand and need to learn though it’s fascinating stuff... gotta start somewhere :p

(stuff was so much easier pre 74 where pollution issues didn’t exist and torque management was provided by the clutch, gearbox, driveshaft or diff exploding :p )

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
ill have a look later when im on laptop and ill make a list of everything that can limit torque/spark in a factory VF tune, autos need some tho to help change gears so ill leave some out, hope i won't scare anyone by how safe the factory is :oops:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Buy some MAF cleaner too and spray the MAF down. New oil filters can get the MAF oily. So clean the MAF and use OE filter if there in an improvement use less oil on your filter.
+1 for cleaning your MAF

Saw your comment and thought I should do mine as it was jerky on light throttle at low speed in traffic. Just cleaned it and took it for a drive and it seems to have fixed the issue. Light throttle application is smooth now. True test will be in work traffic on monday.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
It wouldn’t be the first time where a tune can unleash hidden power that the hardware could produce but the factory didn’t want people to have (as it was a preplanned tuned “upgrade” for the next models... masked by visible but useless hardware mods)... I vaguely remember Ford did this quote some years ago and owners found substantial gains with a tune to the dislike of the company.

Wasnt it the VT Commodore with the first LS motors that were famous for this? They couldn’t go “btw we’ve doubled power from the old Holden 5 litre” so they detuned the crap out of it and “released“ power progressively with each new model but all you had to do with the first models was tune it and you had an extra 50kw or something.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
So just curious how far the factory hardware can be pushed, especially down low, with only software fiddles without resorting to hardware mods.

And I think this might become more of a thing with now with Holden non existent and people wanting to keep their cars stock for resale value.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wasnt it the VT Commodore with the first LS motors that were famous for this? They couldn’t go “btw we’ve doubled power from the old Holden 5 litre” so they detuned the crap out of it and “released“ power progressively with each new model but all you had to do with the first models was tune it and you had an extra 50kw or something.
And IIRC, there was also chatter that the supercharged V6 was either purposefully hobbled power wise or Holden lied as to its power output (or a combination of both) so as not to upset the V8 mob :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
And IIRC, there was also chatter that the supercharged V6 was either purposefully hobbled power wise or Holden lied as to its power output (or a combination of both) so as not to upset the V8 mob :rolleyes:

I had VT S with L67. I had clubsport exhaust, cold air intake, 10psi pulley, yella terra high ratio rollers rockers and xu6 memcal.
Made about 210-220kw on the flywheel.
The supercharger sounded sik too at wot ;)

Still miss her...
Spent shitload on this car over the years and did most work myself.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201205-182807_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201205-182807_Drive.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_20201205-182904_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201205-182904_Drive.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_20201205-182915_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201205-182915_Drive.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_20201205-182930_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201205-182930_Drive.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 107

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had VT S with L67. I had clubsport exhaust, cold air intake, 10psi pulley, yella terra high ratio rollers rockers and xu6 memcal.
Made about 210-220kw on the flywheel.
The supercharger sounded sik too at wot ;)

Still miss her...
Spent shitload on this car over the years and did most work myself.
Nice... nice cars always cost... probably wish you still had it :p

The 5.7ltr V8 supposedly pumped out 250kw while the bog standard l67 was 200kw. Your modded l67 seems to have sat between the two of them. Wonder how did it ran against a standard iron lion of the day which is the only metric that counts :cool:

Last edited: