Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does untuned better flowing intake result in loss of low end torque

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Get an otr and tune mate ;) you know you want to

I don't actually :)
If knew I wanted this It would have been done long time ago.

I suspect that this setup with tune is not far from otr and tune plus it's more practical and closer to oem.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
It's always nicer with a tune.

1606796178914.png

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
I don't actually :)
If knew I wanted this It would have been done long time ago.

I suspect that this setup with tune is not far from otr and tune plus it's more practical and closer to oem.
My thoughts exactly I have just about talked myself into buying a nitrous activation box which will open and close the air door using the throttle position and rpm switch so my setup will end up costing more than a otr and I am hoping that it won't be to far away performance wise .I also think there might be something in the loss of low down grunt with the air door open ? but gave nothing to back that statement just thinking why hsv went to the bother of doing it.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Buy some MAF cleaner too and spray the MAF down. New oil filters can get the MAF oily. So clean the MAF and use OE filter if there in an improvement use less oil on your filter.

That worked !
It must be all different filters/intakes I messed with that contaminated MAF. Much more snappier and responsive now

Last edited:

Gotta_Drive_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 HSV Clubsport R8 LS3 E3
Air flow and fuel are the first two parameters the ecu looks at after the engine fires up. If either is in any way different to what has been set in the tune, the ecu will try to compensate for the irregularity. I'm thinking if you increase airflow, the ecu will compensate with more fuel which would be fine at higher rpm but almost flooding at low rpm. Was there a slight fuel smell at low rpm?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 l67 commodore berlina
Since installing R8 340 intake and K&N air filter there are times where car feels less responsive at low revs. It also seems that bimodal mufflers take longer to activate. When I plant the foot it absolutely screams and pulls like a train.

Is it possible that this kind of intake without tune could result in loss of low end torque and feel a bit lazier ? Not sure if it's all in my head.

My guess is that it would benefit from a tune regardless.

Would there be any really significant advantage to going with VCM otr and tune as compared to this setup and tune ?
Id go OTR Its a shorter path for the air to travel, plus more air means u can add more fuel which means more PWR !

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Id go OTR Its a shorter path for the air to travel, plus more air means u can add more fuel which means more PWR !

I really don't think OTR is going to make much difference tbh.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Buy some MAF cleaner too and spray the MAF down. New oil filters can get the MAF oily.

Not true at all. This furphy has been doing the rounds for years and subsequently shot down. Here's the real problem: incorrect recharging of the filter. If you soak your filter in a paint-roller tray and slap it in, you're going to have more serious problems than a fouled MAF sensor! The native filter coating is extremely thin and has not ever been demonstrated to move up the snorkel and foul the MAF. Does not happen.