Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Doing your own basic servicing.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
you should not feel like anyone is being "aggressive" because you came out thinking the dealer services are prefect based on your personal opinion.

Never said they were perfect? You're the one who's choosing to get your back up..

you think a service is just an oil change and you are wrong and that is fine but there is a reason they are supposed to spend time checking certain parts of the vehicle.

And they generally do, where's your evidence to the contrary?

the idea is "preventive maintenance" or to catch a problem before it becomes serious or costly and that's what you are paying for and a lot of dealers just change the oil and send it out.

No, it's nothing to do with 'preventative maintenance'. If that was the case, we'd be servicing our cars every 2000kms. It's about servicing according to the manufacturers specs?

the dealers make stuff all from the servicing so they do as little as possible to push as many as they can through.

Incorrect, their main source of income is servicing, check your facts.

as you said "each to their own" and like I said originally the dealers stamp in the book just shows a poor service history aka most likely just an oil change

Evidence or supposition?

you can live in the world where the dealer has your back and values you as a customer and you trust they are doing everything they should.

I couldn't give a rats a__ if they value me or not. All I've said is ive never had an issue with them. Clearly you are anti-dealer and that's fine. See the difference between you and I..?

I will live in the world where money/profit drives all decisions and the dealers don't give a crap about me or my car unless I am looking to buy a new one.

Enjoy your sad world :)

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Anyway, wot ya recon about da Auto trans coola den ????
Heat kills transmissions. If you're going to be towing a 1200kg cvan long distances, then I would definitely install a trans cooler. It's not just the weight, it's drag too. Those things are like a main sail, in a head wind. Then there's the summer temps to contend with. I'd also have a fluid and filter change (service). Cheap longevity insurance on an already well used, and possibly never serviced auto. It will also give you and your passenger/s some peace of mind.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
The VF has 172 K on it but has been fully serviced by Holden. That what all those little stamps tell me anyway. Would never have touched it if was not fully serviced with logs to prove it.
Thanks for your feed back regards the Trans cooler. Exactly what i wanted to hear and will have one fitted. Good idea to service up the Auto trans at same time.

Thanks very much.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I'm happy to pay for dealer servicing. I've never had a single issue arising from it.
Never said they were perfect? You're the one who's choosing to get your back up..
that's close enough to perfect without being pedantic

And they generally do, where's your evidence to the contrary?
where is your evidence that they "generally do" the full list?

No, it's nothing to do with 'preventative maintenance'. If that was the case, we'd be servicing our cars every 2000kms. It's about servicing according to the manufacturers specs?
incorrect, the checking of multiple points of interest on the vehicle ensures a major fault will not occur due to things coming loose or leaking etc hence the term "preventative".

Incorrect, their main source of income is servicing, check your facts.
to use your own words "Evidence or supposition?"
if this is correct is the income high for them because they spend less than 30 minutes on every single vehicle?

Clearly you are anti-dealer and that's fine.
not at all I am just aware of the dodgy practices carried out by big dealerships

Enjoy your sad world :)
enjoy your world of paying $300+ for some oil and a filter :)

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The VF has 172 K on it but has been fully serviced by Holden. That what all those little stamps tell me anyway. Would never have touched it if was not fully serviced with logs to prove it.
Thanks for your feed back regards the Trans cooler. Exactly what i wanted to hear and will have one fitted. Good idea to service up the Auto trans at same time.

Thanks very much.
No worries mate. It was a good question.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
that's close enough to perfect without being pedantic

What are you smoking?

where is your evidence that they "generally do" the full list?

You've answered a question with a question..

incorrect, the checking of multiple points of interest on the vehicle ensures a major fault will not occur due to things coming loose or leaking etc hence the term "preventative".

How does that ensure a major fault won't occur?

not at all I am just aware of the dodgy practices carried out by big dealerships

Evidence?

enjoy your world of paying $300+ for some oil and a filter

Never paid that much :)

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
^
I hope not, according to Holden fixed price servicing many punters are lining up to pay 372 buks for it. ??????

Totally OK if a Company is footing the bill but if ya working class ya really need to refrain from bending over for such simple work.

If ya can not live without that nasty little stamp at least take ya motor to ya local trusted mechanic who will charge you much less for the same work and stamp ya book at the same time.

Stealers having exclusive rights to book stamping went out the window many years ago.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
^
I hope not, according to Holden fixed price servicing many punters are lining up to pay 372 buks for it. ??????

Totally OK if a Company is footing the bill but if ya working class ya really need to refrain from bending over for such simple work.

If ya can not live without that nasty little stamp at least take ya motor to ya local trusted mechanic who will charge you much less for the same work and stamp ya book at the same time.

Stealers having exclusive rights to book stamping went out the window many years ago.
Capped price service for a new SS is about $219. Not bad. From memory in my book.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Totally OK if a Company is footing the bill but if ya working class ya really need to refrain from bending over for such simple work

I'm working class and can easily afford the bill.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
^^
If you have capped price servicing and are paying 219 buks for your service i would say that is very reasonable considering it is being done at a Stealer.
My comments are directed at punters who do not have capped priced servicing and are being charged top wack for simple work.