Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Done OIL change and now car has zero power and rattles on drivers side when pushing the pedal OMG !!!

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
$60 for 10 litres at SCA
SCA_164747_hi-res.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
As above, no point putting the most expensive oil in an engine that might not last another 100km's. Nulon is good **** though.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Cleaning the actuators is easy and drenching them with throttle body cleaner is the go. You can get them super clean without removing the screens. I’ve cleaned up plenty that have come from the wreckers and seen things no engine part should. They work fine afterwards.

Stelya

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore Omega gone SS
tiny update
I've put 1.5 bottles of NULON LIFTER FREE and immediately seen improvement in terms of more power...not much but definitely noticable. Unfortunately noise is still present.
As for cam actuators/sensors do you know what toools do I need to get them off?
Unrelated question...say there is a hole in exaust system or disconnect somewhere...that would definitely produce some kind of noise (ive experienced that before when my mufflers rusted and there were holes all over them ) BUT would that produce loss of power and to what extent?
Somehow Im inclined to check the exaust system but Im not a mechanic nor I have a jack or lifter.

so...some positive results thanks to you guys
beers 4 everyone :p

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That would suggest **** has gone through the oil system after the flush and blocked ****. Run it some more and see what happens.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
If it’s not too difficult, I’d be opening the filter and eyeballing it to see if it is catching any more gunk. If it’s looking full/clog, change the filter (even if not changing the oil - which as probably still got usable lifter-free in it).

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
As for cam actuators/sensors do you know what toools do I need to get them off?
You need a 10mm socket. A can of throttle body cleaner and some paper towel. Best use paper towel as synthetic fibres aren't great to get in the motor.

Undo the bolt and pull it out. Best do it with a cool motor. Some oil might dribble out, no biggie though. Wipe it up with a paper towel. Wipe around the seals. The seal sometimes comes out too. You can buy new seals for the cam actuators and cam sensors. Fairly cheap. Good idea if they feel hard.

You might need to remove the intake pipe off the throttle body and air filter. Thats a 7mm socket on the hose clamps.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey, something occurred to me today. Kind of relates to this.

@krusing Blew some compressed air through part of the oil passage when doing his rockers and timing chain. He cleared the suspected partial blockage. That got me thinking what if compressed air was put into the oil outlet port where the filter is? Would that be beneficial or could it be not good for any gaskets in the system along the way? Would be easy enough to drop a heap of clean oil back down there to kind of prime it after.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The blockage is probably in the smaller galleries up in the head that feed the cam journals and lifter buckets. That it's driving better already suggests some of the lifter buckets have blockages and are collapsed which will reduce valve lift, cause power loss and bad noises.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Collapsed catalytic converter will make noise and reduce power