Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Done OIL change and now car has zero power and rattles on drivers side when pushing the pedal OMG !!!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
It won't hurt, I use diesel oil in petrol engines all the time. Use the same grade/quantity as the normal oil used.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
VE VF Cam position actuator.
There are three very fine gauze screens that filter the oil passing into the actuator. If those screens become clogged with sludge, carbon deposits and crap then the actuators won't work and the engine will lose power.
Soak them in kerosene and use a good toothbrush to scrub the gauze. It would be a good idea also to replace the cam actuator and cam sensor oil seals in the timing cover at the same time. Chances are once disturbed the seals will leak after removal and re-installation of the sensors and actuators.
Edit: After more consideration it would be better to remove the screens and clean them off the actuators.
The metal rings wrapped around the screens are spring clips that hold the screens on.
VE VF Cam position actuator.jpg

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If this engine is as sludged up as Im guessing it is I don't think driving for 100km using diesel oil will make any real difference.
Clean the actuators is worth doing, pulling rocker covers off and cleaning everything would be ideal. Needs to be done carefully though if there is lots of sludge so it doesn't fall down the oil galleries. That would let you see how good it bad things are inside it. If it's really bad then you need to think about removing the timing cover and sump and giving them the same cleaning process or trying the kero flush as was mentioned above.
And good luck most of all!

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Will it be safe to drive with diesel oil? Also which diesel oil and I guess exact amount as I would put normal oil in? Could you point me in right direction ...I got some SuperCheapAuto vouchers I could use for that.
Thank you , I will report upon completion.
Whatever oil grade you normally use

This method won't "rebuild" your engine and remove all the sludge, but the detergents in the oil will clean the galleries out, your engine will never really recover from the lack of servicing

As for diesel engine oil in petrol cars, I would only use it as a 100km flush oil, or in a old drirty thing like the above car

I've "heard" reports that due to the additional detergent additives in the diesel engine oil, which you need for their cleaning properties, it can possibly "wash" the piston walls causing undue wear to the cylinders and rings

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
There's a lot of good suggetions that say drive the car for xxx kilometers etc, but in its present state, IS it driveable? Given that the OP is somewhat niaive regarding the subtelties of engine problem diagnosis, is there a chance that something else is wrong, giving the symptoms he describes, but is potantially fatal if the car is driven any distance?
Maybe someone can suggest a good reliable Commodore mechanic in the OP's area that can have a look/listen?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
There's a lot of good suggetions that say drive the car for xxx kilometers etc, but in its present state, IS it driveable? Given that the OP is somewhat niaive regarding the subtelties of engine problem diagnosis, is there a chance that something else is wrong, giving the symptoms he describes, but is potantially fatal if the car is driven any distance?
Maybe someone can suggest a good reliable Commodore mechanic in the OP's area that can have a look/listen?
Without looking at the car in person and checking the oil pressure I have no idea of what it could be

Was the right filter used?

I would just redo every that was originally done

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i wonder how much oil came out of the sump after 100000ks, alloytecs hold 6.5 -7 ltrs of oil only person to ask is the mechanic who did the service

Last edited:

Stelya

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore Omega gone SS
I have to drive it 60kms today 30+30 with pause at 30km. Will put in that NULON LIFTER FREE and see what it does. I know its not too safe to drive but I will take it slow. As I will be visiting SupaCheapAuto could someone suggest which diesel oil I would need to buy ?
When I come back I will be cleaning cam actuators and replacing oil with diesel one. (what tool is needed to remove cam actuators/sensors?)

You guys are great, thanks everyone for help

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Buy the cheapest one you can for now. Try to stick to no more than 10w.

Stelya

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore Omega gone SS
5w-30, 5w-40 ...synthetic, non synthetic etc ...? there are couple to choose from ? tnxz