Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Double Din into a VX HOW!!!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
once it's in, why do you need to pull it out again? Mate I'm an actual fitter and I don't even pull mine out. Once it's in....its in and it can bloody well stay there.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Yeah thats true once it in its in. But i dont want to pull the dash apart to get the thing out if it plays up and needs to be sent away..

I think by the looks of it i will be taking to the local guys who said they can fit so i can slide it in and out..

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
Does this help ?

First thing you will need is the keys to remove factory head unit , it will slide out and unplug from the rear , make sure you take your cds out first or in this case remove cartridge from the stacker.

IMG_4009.jpg

IMG_4010.jpg

Remove the glove box , the pin needs to come out from inside the drivers side at the rear , then carefully push the rubber tab in and the glove box will fall out.
The panel below the steering column unclips and swings down with the same clip as the glove box then it will also come out.

IMG_4012.jpg

IMG_4017.jpg

The 2 sides of the console have screws going up into the dash and 1 at the rear.

IMG_4013.jpg

The passenger side end of the dash has 1 cover plate with 5 screws in it and the end of dash plate has 3.

IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4019.jpg

The panel above the glove box has 10 screws holding that up , it will then drop and the wiring harness can be unplugged from the back of it.

IMG_4022.jpg

The panel around the shifter has 2 screws hidden under the ashtray , once they are out the rear of that panel will unclip upwards and you can unplud the electric windows if you have them.

IMG_4020.jpg

IMG_4023.jpg

There is 2 screws at the base of the main dash surround that hold the ashtray then that will also come out.

IMG_4024.jpg

The main facia has 2 screws going upwards above the instrument cluster.
There is 3 either side of the steering column then that main facia will unclip and you can remove the plugs from the back of it.

IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4025.jpg

The center console has 2 10mm nuts inside it.
There is 1 screw either side of the center console in the middle.
There is 4 screws around the area where the cigarette lighter is.

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

The main surround has screws everywhere , once they are all out you will need to unplug the cigarette lighter and that piece will lift out.

IMG_4030.jpg

Everything going well it should start lookign like this :)

IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

You will have a pile of panels that looks like this and a handful of scrwws like this :)

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg

The screen I had to fit is a Pioneer 2 DIN DVD 6 disc screen , slide it in to where you want it , in this case I had to lift it 6mm to be central with the face , I then marked where 2 holes will line up drill it out.

IMG_4035.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

Once you have bolted the deck up fit the facia back on the check that it lines up correctly , the facia is usually supplied with the head unit and may need to be cut down to fit flush.

IMG_4045.jpg

The below pic shows how far off the front lip the deck sits as a guide to where you want your facia.
The deck itself is about 4mm narrower than the steel box in the car , instead of doing the bolts up that tight it bends the head unit I glued a 2mm washer on either side as a spacer.

IMG_4046.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg

IMG_4052.jpg

Now all you need to do is wire it all up and test that it works before you put all the dash back together :)

IMG_4048.jpg

IMG_4049.jpg

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Found that write up before but he has solid mounted it in there.. Thanks for the post but..

I think i may have got it sorted thanks..

Milktoast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS Ute
I know this is an old thread,but thanks for the pics Kal..I'm about to put a 2 din in my VU ute and these will come in real handy.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
i am having trouble fitting my cage for a single din in my vx aswell, i had a vt and guy before me put head unit in and it fit no worries (with cage). so is the black metal surround on the vx different to the vt? also i have 6 rca plugs in back of head unit and cant get it to push all the way in and sit flush!! aaaaaargggghhhh just wedged in there with a bit of cardboard atm.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Nope, the black metal surround is the same on VT and VX. You just need to push harder or flatten the raised bits on the black metal cage.

You might need right angle RCA plugs if the sockets are actually on the rear of the head unit rather than on flyleads.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
haha all fixed! i spent the last few hours following this step by step of what you have to pull off and i was able to pull out metal cage and angle grind the piece that was in the way of the rca's (couldnt use right angle ones cos there were six lined up) and have now firmly secured cd player in place.