Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Double row timing chain alignment

njames

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Hi guys Just got a cam and rollmaster double row timing chain installed and degreed by my mechanic and I’ve notoiced that that crank sprocket for the chain sits 0.35mm closer to the block then the cam gear and the front of the teeth on the cam sprocket have scoring marks as if the chain is rubbing on the front side of the teeth, is this normal I remember reading somewhere possibly on this fourm something about the crank gears sometimes going on to far and needing shims, can anyone tell me if this is a problem I searched for the original thread but couldent find it anywhere.
Another thing I wanted to check before the timing cover goes back on is I understand with the balance shaft delete that the rear oil hole has to be tapped and plugged but my mechanic was telling me the bolt hole for the tensioner also had to be plugged, but I haven’t heard of anyone else doing this? Is that information correct?
Thanks so much honestly don’t know what I’d do without this site

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Looks a bit like the chains probably hitting the oil pump cover is there a groove cut in the oil pump

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What car and engine is this on, VS Eco? I tried to find a double row chain and was told they don't do one for my engine as it wouldn't fit.

njames

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Yeah vs eco, nah delcowizzid I haven’t installed the timing cover yet and I have the machined oil pump cover

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
This information is from another site.

Double row timing chain fitment issues.

A few of us now have found the problem & fixed it by lightly emery clothing the section of the cam shaft that stops the top gear from sliding home all the way.

History has shown that there is a slight change in the diameter where the gear slides on. This it seems is because the camshaft manufacturers machined the new cams exactly as the stock ones in this area. The thing is the stock camshafts have a slim single row gear with another drive gear behind it that drives the balance shaft. It seems this balance shaft drive gear is slightly bigger on its inside diameter when compares to the ID of the camshaft sprocket. When the people were making the Double Row Chain sets to fit these camshafts they didn't allow for this slight step up in the mounting stub area.

njames

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
This information is from another site.

Double row timing chain fitment issues.

A few of us now have found the problem & fixed it by lightly emery clothing the section of the cam shaft that stops the top gear from sliding home all the way.

History has shown that there is a slight change in the diameter where the gear slides on. This it seems is because the camshaft manufacturers machined the new cams exactly as the stock ones in this area. The thing is the stock camshafts have a slim single row gear with another drive gear behind it that drives the balance shaft. It seems this balance shaft drive gear is slightly bigger on its inside diameter when compares to the ID of the camshaft sprocket. When the people were making the Double Row Chain sets to fit these camshafts they didn't allow for this slight step up in the mounting stub area.

Awesome cheers mate any chance you could please send me a link or direct me to the original thread?

njames

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Anyone who’s installed a double row setup, did you plug the wholes where the tensioner use to be with grub screws or just leave it open?

njames

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Also want to ask is there any reason why the white metal bearing at the end of the balance shaft has to be removed? I can tap the oil gallery from the bottom and it’s being a bastard to get out