Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Downsizing from 3 cars to one - which one to keep?

Which car to keep

• 2013 Ford Fiesta

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 1979 VB Holden Commodore

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • 1981 Volvo 244

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Hello all,

I am undergoing a change in life situation/location/job and due to storage constraints in my new location/s I am in need of downsizing my car collection. I have 3 cars and will need to downsize to one. I would also like to clear some debts as well ($14k worth).

Here are my cars, and the pros and cons of keeping them.

2013 Ford Fiesta LX manual Hatch
Pros - fast, great to drive, fairly reliable. Bought it new. Easy on fuel.
Con - If I kept it, may not raise enough money to pay debts. Also means selling 2 cars I have put a lot of time and money into.

1979 VB Commodore
Pros - Easy to fix, parts easy to get. Good future resale/appreciation value. I have put a lot of time and money into the car. Raise enough money.
Cons - No air-con, would mean selling Volvo which might be hard to shift.

1981 Volvo 244
Pros - Reasonable to drive, has air-con, good motor, Volvos of this age have longevity.
Con - Future appreciation not as good as the VB Commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
You mean you can't predict the answer you'll get on a site called JUST COMMODORES?! LOL!!!

Fail thread...

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
No I'd like to think we could be objective about the question at hand ;)

But yeah that wouldn't surprise me.......

TBH I'm leaning towards the Volvo for the other two would be easiest to sell for reasonable money in the timeframe I have (9 weeks)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
In your situation, I'd almost consider selling all three cars and buying something different altogether that suits your requirements.

If it were me, I'd sell them all and look for a one owner vx calais with low k's. Or something along those lines. Easy to fix, cheap to buy, very reliable and very comfortable.

I have 3 cars myself (4 actually, trying to offload a couple), and if I needed money, that's what I'd do.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I know you said two, but if it were me I'd sell the Fiesta to clear your debts, daily the Volvo and keep the Commodore as a cruiser. But I'm not much of a seller :p

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Obvious answer is obvious.

And besides, the other two aren't appealing.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Selling the VB to raise about $14K.....Doubt it...

Don't get me wrong, I have a soft spot for these, but recently I had to price out VB's for an insurance claim and the 2 I found were as follows:

warm 202, with celica 5 speed....clean body and interior just over $4.5K

VB SLE 1978 build.....4.2 auto 178,000 on the clock....3rd owner....clean and tidy car $15,000

Yes, yours is an investment in the future, but unfortunately cars swollow money and very rarely do you make back what you paid out in maintenance costs.

Unfortunately, you'll have to decide what to sell to try and get yourself out of debt, rather than ask others what you should sell

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
You mean you can't predict the answer you'll get on a site called JUST COMMODORES?! LOL!!!

Fail thread...

lol have you seen the misc and project section ? a lot of guys here are into a lot of different cars.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
In your situation, I'd almost consider selling all three cars and buying something different altogether that suits your requirements.

If it were me, I'd sell them all and look for a one owner vx calais with low k's. Or something along those lines. Easy to fix, cheap to buy, very reliable and very comfortable.

I have 3 cars myself (4 actually, trying to offload a couple), and if I needed money, that's what I'd do.

Have to agree with this, would likely be the best and easiest option to go by!