Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dramas after flat battery and jump start...

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
You should have told the carwash to start it.

Did you turn your lights on when jump starting it ?
As you should turn your lights on when jump starting todays cars , it takes away any surge that might occur.

If you are going to turn your lights on for concern about surge reasons, I would say the time to do it is before you connect the jump leads to the car. Turn the lights off when you crank the engine, I suspect you will need all the amps available to get it started, headlights on is going to drain about 9 amps I would think (the tail lights would use about .5 Amp each, and headlights about 4 Amps each).

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
He jumped it off a jump pack, so there was no surge. Surge is caused by the jumping vehicle's alternator increasing voltage/output in response to the huge load of the second vehicles starter causing a voltage droop. The reason the surge can damage components is when the starter of the second vehicle disengages there's suddenly excessive output from the alternator that causes a voltage spike for a very short period until the regulator responds to pull back the overcharge condition.

You don't get this when jumping off a pack.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Still , handy habit to get into, in case you get a surge from your alternator kicking in

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Still , handy habit to get into, in case you get a surge from your alternator kicking in

Most modern vehicles don't have a surge when starting on their own, even with a low battery. Commodores for example VE onwards have a BCM controlled charge rate and are commanded to a flat charge rate upon starting and for the first ~60 seconds or so, so they don't spike on a low voltage start.

Snicko1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Wagon
What voltage does everyones commos show when they are driving? mine only shows 12.5 most of the time

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Mine shows between 13.9 and 14.4. Though mine has a 2 battery setup (not sure if that makes s difference)

gazpep

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 SSV Redline auto
Mine is usually showing around 14.5 volts