Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf wont start

calais2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais
Hey guys,
Went to start my vf calais this morning and electrics came on, no battery issue but engine wouldn't crank. I was then able to jump out of the car and remote start and the engine would turn on. When I jumped in the car and hit the push start button the engine would stop. Any ideas?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Maybe describe in more detail?

You say you remote started, then got in the car & hit the start button; so you mean it was running, and hence the button would normally stop the car ==> which it did?
Unlikely to be the button itself if the electronics came on, anyhoo.

Did the "missing key fob" message come up in the LCD screen between tacho & speedo? If so maybe the receiver in the car has a problem, OR the fob battery might be getting low (remember there's no yes/no with these electronics once the battery starts getting low - one thing can work perfectly and the other be flaky - just because remote start works doesn't mean everything fobby works). If it's been a few years since you replaced the fob battery, it's no waste to replace it now to test, it's not got much life in it anyway.

How do you know there is no (car) battery issue? Same as with the fob battery, a car battery that's not totally dead but not working to it's best can cause odd electrical gremlins.

calais2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais

You say you remote started, then got in the car & hit the start button; so you mean it was running, and hence the button would normally stop the car ==> which it did?

Did the "missing key fob" message come up in the LCD screen between tacho & speedo? If so maybe the receiver in the car has a problem, OR the fob battery might be getting low (remember there's no yes/no with these electronics once the battery starts getting low - one thing can work perfectly and the other be flaky - just because remote start works doesn't mean everything fobby works). If it's been a few years since you replaced the fob battery, it's no waste to replace it now to test, it's not got much life in it anyway.

How do you know there is no (car) battery issue? Same as with the fob battery, a car battery that's not totally dead but not working to it's best can cause odd so r

How do you know there is no (car) battery issue? Same as with the fob battery, a car battery that's not totally dead but not working to it's best can cause odd electrical gremlins.
Remote start still needs the button inside the car to be pressed before you can drive it. Hit the button inside the car as normal and instead of then being able to drive away, the engine stopped. Radio comes up, screens and lights all on, no battery light showing, Bluetooth connects. No crank on the engine when I try start the car without remote starting it first

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
No warning about (unsure what the wording is) the key fob not being available?

From what you said I'd very happily suspect the battery in the fob first, & the battery in the car 2nd ... nopte that I'm definitely not claiming to be an expert, but the 8 years I've been on this VF section of the forum has been littered with people getting electrical gremlins with either of these batteries being "on the way out".

There are undoubtedly ways to access error codes in the ECU but I'd need to research how to do that. :)

Last edited:

calais2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais
No warning about (unsure what the wording is) the key fob not being available?

From what you said I'd very happily suspect the battery in the fob first, & the battery in the car 2nd ... nopte that I'm definitely not claiming to be an expert, but the 8 years I've been on this VF section of the forum has been littered with people getting electrical gremlins with either of these batteries being "on the way out".

There are undoubtedly ways to access error codes in the ECU but I'd need to research how to do that. :)
Yeah thanks mate, trying the other key fob when I get home. I wouldn't imagine car battery as there is no battery light showing. But willing to take advice. Thanks

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not saying it IS the battery, but a piece of info that may or may not be useful - most people are getting battery-related problems without the battery light being on.
In reality, VF probably needs a battery warning system that goes off before whatever the voltage-threshold is that it's using for that light!

Pazzu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SS Thunder 2017 VF S2 SS
Yeah thanks mate, trying the other key fob when I get home. I wouldn't imagine car battery as there is no battery light showing. But willing to take advice. Thanks
I would think key fob too, perhaps replace the battery.
The slot for the key fob if flat is in the center console storage. try placing your key there and then start.
I think it may be the immobilizing activiating as it is not detecting the key properly.

GO25

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V, Sportswagon
Hey guys,
Went to start my vf calais this morning and electrics came on, no battery issue but engine wouldn't crank. I was then able to jump out of the car and remote start and the engine would turn on. When I jumped in the car and hit the push start button the engine would stop. Any ideas?
I had the same problem yesterday (for the 2nd time). I rang my Holden Service Centre and they talked me through a sequence to start the car.
It worked by pressing the stop/start button without your foot on the break. Locking the car, unlocking the car then pressing the stop/start button again.. The car started and has started every time since. Bloody gremlins.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I had the same problem yesterday (for the 2nd time). I rang my Holden Service Centre and they talked me through a sequence to start the car.
It worked by pressing the stop/start button without your foot on the break. Locking the car, unlocking the car then pressing the stop/start button again.. The car started and has started every time since. Bloody gremlins.
Resolutions like these being posted are much appreciated.
Thanks.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It worked by pressing the stop/start button without your foot on the break brake. Locking the car, unlocking the car then pressing the stop/start button again..
Did you have to open and close the door before locking and then unlock and open and close the door again (or simply get out, lock, unlock and get back in… same same but different)?