Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drift car

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
its real confusing mate. there are ADR's, VSB's and then vicroads/rta/regency park etc which all have their own set of rules, some of which in complete contradiction to each other. every person you speak to have a different view. engineers will go on VSB, cops will go on vicroads, everyone ignores ADR's.

according to VSB14, if you fit anything HSV, then you have to fit EVERYTHING hsv which is included as OEM equipment. for example if you fit a stock HSV cam, then the tune has to go with it, as will improved EGR, evap loss, cats or any equipment they needed to fit (if at all) to make it pass.

if you change engine then all related equipment needs to get changed too, suspension, brakes, sway bars, EGR, evap loss, recirulating air, smog pumps etc etc etc.

but then you ask the question "but ari, who checks these things?" to which i reply "i have no fking idea dude, doesnt seem like anyone cares, they just wanna say "you cant do that" even though one of the applied rules says you can"

VSB is a cock sucker. for example, i changed to 4 wheel disc brakes which are a VAST improvement over the old drums, but because its not OEM equipment, it needs a mod plate.
i changed trans to a T700. much better trans, better on fuel thus better on emissions... needs a cert because its not OEM.

this is on a car that come prior to any and all ADR's

i can understand changing the engine to a more powerful non-OEM engine, but not other things which only improve the safety/characteristics of the car.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Cheers Ari, why am I not surprised.
engineers will go on VSB, cops will go on vicroads, everyone ignores ADR's.
This is the sad state our road authorities are in today.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
The worst I've found was when I had my old NA Fairlane and the engine blew. I bought a wrecked a NC Fairlane (exactly the same car even less differences between then the VN-VP) and was supposed to get it engineered for the V8. Because the NA never had a V8. Yet when the NC came out, the brakes and hoses stayed the same, suspension didn't differ.

I asked an engineer and got the reply that nothing needed to be changed.... just engineer certificate. Which comes at the price of.... shh.... I just swapped donks.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
The worst I've found was when I had my old NA Fairlane and the engine blew. I bought a wrecked a NC Fairlane (exactly the same car even less differences between then the VN-VP) and was supposed to get it engineered for the V8. Because the NA never had a V8. Yet when the NC came out, the brakes and hoses stayed the same, suspension didn't differ.

I asked an engineer and got the reply that nothing needed to be changed.... just engineer certificate. Which comes at the price of.... shh.... I just swapped donks.

Thats naughty! I"M TELLING MUM!!!!!!!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I'm guessing that because they get the final say on what is safe to do and what isn't.... if they make a wrong call or a decision without being given the correct information. (Considering each vehicle will be different and no HOW-TO manual too follow...) I'm sure there liability coverage is through the roof.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
V8s vehicles were fitted with FE2 suspension as standard but brakes were left standard unless optioned bigger in HSV packages. I believe all HOLDEN vehicles had the same size brakes until HSV gave them a slap and tickle.

My v8 vx didn't come with Fe2 standard....

----500rwhp corn juiced & boosted ls1----