Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drivers fined for dark window tint

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
More bullshit from the NSW Government. Saw the following article in the fish wrapper today.

"Cars with heavily tinted windows will be given an on-the-spot defect notice . Highway Patrol officers have been issued with electronic meters that can immediately check if windows comply with legal tinting limits.

"Cars with windows tinted beyond the legal limit could be fined up to $84, whle those driving in breach of a defect notice could receive a fine of $253.

"NSW laws state that the side and rear windows must allow 35 percent of light to pass through."

This **** Government can't fund the real issues for the people of this state, but they can find the money to give cops light meters to make money through fines. Bloody typical.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Agreed. Just another example of how **** house our government is. I thought the cops already had these meters though? Why give them to HWP cops, as if those pricks need more ways to give bullshit fines.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
there was a good article in the paper the other day here where a person spotted a suspicious person with hoody and spray paint going around looking in peoples cars along a street, he called the local cop shop to give them a heads up about hiom and they said there were no unit available due to them all being at a rbt at the time...

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Who cares. If you have tinted your windows legally you'll be fine. It's not like the 35% rule hasn't been around for the past decade or longer.

If you get caught with with 5% tint, i have no sympathy for you.

there was a good article in the paper the other day here where a person spotted a suspicious person with hoody and spray paint going around looking in peoples cars along a street, he called the local cop shop to give them a heads up about hiom and they said there were no unit available due to them all being at a rbt at the time...
HWP aren't concerned with dodgy people in hoodies, it's a moot point.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I've got 5% on my car, and i've been pulled over atleast half a dozen times (RBT ect, not for doing something wrong) and the police have never said a word about the tint. And it's not like they couldnt tell that the windows were tinted beyond legal. Maybe i've just been really lucky. And i'll probably go for 2% tint for my next car (yes there is a 2%, and i can get it..) So yes, my own fault if i get fined for it, but i would still be pissed off. Like others have said, there are people out there actually commiting an offence. I don't see myself as a bad person (a criminal even) for having some dark tint on my car. So i do have sympathy for anyone who does cop a fine for it....

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Who cares. If you have tinted your windows legally you'll be fine. It's not like the 35% rule hasn't been around for the past decade or longer.

If you get caught with with 5% tint, i have no sympathy for you.

HWP aren't concerned with dodgy people in hoodies, it's a moot point.

where did i mention HWP

TR33VV

Hummer and a chicken feed
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II LS3+TURBO
Be careful if you have an accident with your 5% tint and have to claim insurance. Those thieves will look for any excuse not to payout.

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
tint stripping is about $50, just what i did when i had my accident. 3 days later i was getting the 5% removed. And no, the tint was unrelated to the accident.

VZ_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Be careful if you have an accident with your 5% tint and have to claim insurance. Those thieves will look for any excuse not to payout.

Damn straight. The inspector gets a bonus if they get the company out of paying a claim.