Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dumb things you've done working on a car?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
I was cleaning the plemum out of my VS V6 Ecotec at night (around this time last year), dropped a bolt down the first intake runner, couldn't reach it so I had wait a couple days to get an extension magnet arm.
Newbie+ night time= bad time.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I was cleaning the plemum out of my VS V6 Ecotec at night (around this time last year), dropped a bolt down the first intake runner, couldn't reach it so I had wait a couple days to get an extension magnet arm.
Newbie+ night time= bad time.

I dropped a plenum bolt down a runner while cleaning my Ecotec. Had to walk about 5km to Autobarn to get a 'piss weak magnet on a flexi-handle' tool (probably not its real name), walk back, and spend 30 minutes to get it out. And just after I got it out, I dropped the next bolt down the same runner, motherfu****.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Have you ever hit your head on something then as you pull your head away for what you just hit ( like knee jerk reaction ) hit your head again!! This is a sure way to throw me into a fit of rage.

did it (if memory serves me right, because it was probably enough times for concussion) a good 5 times one day.
working under this machine at work, and it was at the height you can just slide under it on your back (because you know. putting all the connections and areas for cables etc under in the worst spot is a great idea)
its like biting your tongue. then doing it over and over again.

also.
pulling something apart. putting all the screws down. not all mixed up, with the actual piece it was taken out of
then after you put it all back you somehow manage to find 1 screw still sitting there.
it doesnt even make any sense! =P

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
While fitting a Mace manifold insulator , I dropped 3 of the plenum bolts gown the chamber , no probs , got them out , when I thought the job was finished , went to start the car and the thing revved like Billy O and a smallish fire started , DOH , then I discovered that the back left injector was not seated correctly , so the car was towed down to the local Holden dealer and , so yeah , goes well now though . One of the mechanic's still brings that up occasionally . PR&*K

stovepipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Went to fit a new oil sensor in my vu ss last night. Dropped the New one in straight away. Didn't fall out the bottom and can't find It anywhere. Any tips???

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ha! this thread! cool!

not sure if i posted it already, but i had a bunch of rags covering my valley to stop dust and **** getting on the lifters, anyway fully installed the intake, torqued to spec etc, then went "ummm, where are those rags... nek minit, intake is back off, sure enough, still in the valley.

i remember someone a while back actually started their V6 with the rags inside. wasnt pretty.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I feel special, my valley had a gut full of rags yesterday, all accounted for.

CameraZOOM-20130929140701339.jpg

Brake pad backwards, and forgot to tighten a power steering high pressure line once. Made it two intersections before it dumped all the fluid, mostly on the exhaust, smoke heaven. Was a Saab 9000 turbo.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
When I was about 15 and doing some spraypainting - Filled up the big pressure pot ready to go. Hooked up airlines and turned on compressor. Forgot to screw the lid tight. Pressure pot lid went flying and I painted the entire room in about 2 seconds. Was one hell of a clean up.

Another time somebody put thinners in the hardener tin. Painted majority of the car and then had to scrape the lot off with razors a day later