Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E-bay selling fees

BookMe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Sold some hsv brakes on eBay. eBay and PayPal fee was about $500 combined.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Just FYI to the Gumtree guys, it is also owned by Ebay, it just has no fees. Surely if they can run Gumtree without fees, they can run Ebay with little to no fees?

Yes and no. I think eBay pays for Gumtree. Gumtree does not make a great deal of money... but I think it makes more then we think.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I've used eBay over the years, and used to enjoy both buying and selling.
The selling bit now I'm done with. The fees are out of order. Paypal is also a real worry.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yes and no. I think eBay pays for Gumtree. Gumtree does not make a great deal of money... but I think it makes more then we think.

I bet it doesn't run at a loss. eBay aint no charity that's for sure. Paid, commercial ads are all over it these days.

Having said that, its probably only a matter of time until fees start creeping into the standard ads. There are already fees for "non-standard" ads.

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
I am done with eBay. Will never sell on there again.

Their fee's are criminal, and you get stung twice with the PayPal fees.

Then to top it off, I got an email last week stating that they had forwarded my details onto the ATO because I had sold more than $10k worth of stuff.
Had a massive shed clean out and sold a heap of parts that I would never have used anyway. Earned enough to buy another car. But now it looks like the ATO will come looking for their chunk. What really gripes me is that these parts were bought with my hard earned cash that I already paid tax on. So when I sold them, some I lost money, some I made a little. But yet the ATO is going to look at that $10k as 'income' and hold out their hand.

So a BIG F.U. to eBay. Never again.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
pretty gumtree is only AU? One reason i use ebay is international.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I am done with eBay. Will never sell on there again.

Their fee's are criminal, and you get stung twice with the PayPal fees.

Then to top it off, I got an email last week stating that they had forwarded my details onto the ATO because I had sold more than $10k worth of stuff.
Had a massive shed clean out and sold a heap of parts that I would never have used anyway. Earned enough to buy another car. But now it looks like the ATO will come looking for their chunk. What really gripes me is that these parts were bought with my hard earned cash that I already paid tax on. So when I sold them, some I lost money, some I made a little. But yet the ATO is going to look at that $10k as 'income' and hold out their hand.

So a BIG F.U. to eBay. Never again.
i had those massages the first few years they are just a generic msg sent out to anyone that earns over that amount, i have never had a msg/email/letter from the ATO yet and its been over 6 years now...

alpha_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
i had those massages the first few years they are just a generic msg sent out to anyone that earns over that amount, i have never had a msg/email/letter from the ATO yet and its been over 6 years now...

F'n thank God! I got the same email as I sold a lot of my retro gaming gear and was worried that the ATO was going to make me pay some big time tax.

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
We have a healthy account here at work that sells quite a bit of gear through eBay every month. The sellers fee's are not too bad depending on what subscription you have (As a seller). It will always depend on how much you sell. The more you sell, the cheaper it gets.

However these days there is a shift market for it to be a more or less consumer bias shopping experience. Where as sellers needs are secondary, Especially when it comes to issues.

One day i'll start a blog of all the ass customers I've had. But to this day I have always believed that the biggest let down on eBay is been unable to leave negative feedback for buyers.

I've had a gut-full of buyers using feedback extortion to get their way. Even worse is the seller ratings (5 star). That can hurt you more than negative feedback.