Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E10 vs 98RON

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
any car sold in Australia has to be able to use all variants of petrol at the bowser, the lower ones just dont perform as good, its only when people get tuned that they are possibly limiting there choice of octane fuel

WreckWren

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
You also need to consider that the same engine made different power and use different tunes depending on where that particular engine was released so if Holden specify a higher octane fuel there is probably a good reason for it.
Holden doesn't specify a higher RON rating for the LS2 so this is totally unrelated.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Last edited:

WreckWren

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Colour me surprised; however I wouldn't pay this much mind as the highest-performance LS2 is fine with US 87.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
There is a new self serve petrol station somewhere in Wiri at the back of Manukau that has 100 octane petrol. My son says it was $2.47L for 100 octane.

On the e10 experiment. I sprinkled some timing around the ignition map, just a poultry .7 degrees over the low-mid load section up to about 4000rpm. I also added 1 degree into the idle map and added a bit more timing for cold air (about .7 degrees) below 20°C IAT. Fairly much my throttle response has come back, idle fuel usage has dropped back down again and now it's a wait and see what happens with the general economy over the next tank or 2.
That’s the new npd station they’ve started opening up sites here in the north island now they were previously only South Island, any plans on trying it?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Spot on. The Yanks always have to be different.
I would say more accurate, rather than different.
We use RON for fuel rating.
They use RON+MON / 2 to get an average over the two different tests.

It's interesting how 2 different "95ron" petrol from different brands have different MON ratings but that would not be displayed on nz/au pumps.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Colour me surprised; however I wouldn't pay this much mind as the highest-performance LS2 is fine with US 87.

LS2's were only fitted to certain HSV vehicles, late VZ's and early VE's.
As @07GTS stated, should be run on 98.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That’s the new npd station they’ve started opening up sites here in the north island now they were previously only South Island, any plans on trying it?
Gotta get through this e10 experiment first.

But certainly 100 octane for fun days? The 100 octane is also cheaper than the regular 98 BP and Mobil.so it's a cheaper alternative. The big 4 have been ripping us off long enough so I'm happy to take my custom to a supplier who has reasonable Pricing. Happy to support the little guy.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Yip agreed about supporting an independent company thats not ripping us off to the level of the big players, Mobil used to be reasonable on their price of 98 but these days they‘ve sunk to bp‘s level :( will be interested to try some 100 octane in the ve

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I can't figure out the big guys. We have a BP close to my work that is always 8-10 cents cheaper than all the others. Even cheaper than Costo dregs