Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E85

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
It sucks living in WA, we probably wont have it at the pump for ages.

Yep same here in TAS. It's ****. In my next street car (S15), i'm gonna do suspension etc. first then wait for pump E85 before doing the engine build (10:1 comp + 17psi on 98 = FAIL lol)

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
That's a myth IMO. I think it's more like about 1990 give or take 5 years and older that u need to worry about. I've been running E85 for 18 months without the slightest problem. Yes when you first use it, the fuel filter will be very dirty after about 5000km because it cleans much better than petrol. This is what gets mistaken for a requirement to change out fuel lines etc.

If you believe its a myth, heres an easy test for you to try. Get 2 plastic bottles, fill one with standard unleaded and fill the second with E85. Its not instant, but leave them in a tray or something and come back and see whats happened. Its what slowly happens your fuel system if its not designed for E85 like the Series II.

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
If you believe its a myth, heres an easy test for you to try. Get 2 plastic bottles, fill one with standard unleaded and fill the second with E85. Its not instant, but leave them in a tray or something and come back and see whats happened. Its what slowly happens your fuel system if its not designed for E85 like the Series II.

Fuel lines etc. became ethanol friendly back in about 1996 or something. My S14 which is a 1999 model has a plastic fuel tank and that's been fine for 18 months. The colour of the **** in the fuel filter is nothing like the colour of the fuel tank. Also last time I cheched my fuel pump's pickup filter a few weeks ago, the plastic was still perfect. I couldn't scratch it with my fingernail.

I reckon u'd find if u compared part numbers that the series 2 has a bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors, the ethanol sensor and different ECU and that'd be about where the differences end.

Dale@CHE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS, VT SS

ok mate, you need to stop reading **** on the internet.. all cars from mid 90s are ethenol compatable, all VE's are e85 compatable, they all have the same fuel tank, same lines, same injectors, same PCM, same everything,

next youll be telling me that the ve's and FG falcons i have running around that have done 10,000+ kms on only E85 are going to fall apart lol

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Thanks for clearing this up Dale. I'd believe you on this over everyone else who has posted.

Cheers!

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
so have we estabilished that a SV6 SIDI will be compatible with it? or was this a noob question?

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T

Oh dear...:clapping::clapping::hit::computer::unsure::bop::bang::clap:

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
just wondering when someone is going to mention the disadvantages of e85 ,it actually absorbs moisture just like methanol .therefore water in petrol station tanks will be more common ,so you will get some sort of mix and match fuel wherever you go !
Interestingly enough 20 years ago if a supplier of petrol adulterated their fuel with ethanol they were given huge fines YET now it is legal to do so (and the government makes money out of it )

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
just wondering when someone is going to mention the disadvantages of e85 ,it actually absorbs moisture just like methanol .
Yeah i learnt that the hard way when i waz young my old boy used to make home brew spirits and i use to put the ethanol in my moto it went sweet for a bit lol