Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Easiest way to replace radiator support on a vt calais

vtlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina
Hi all, just wondering what's the best/easiest way to replace the top and bottom radiator supports. Got a mate that has a vt Calais that he ran off road and hit a small sucker tree. I'm prepared to drill the spot welds out if it's the simplest way. I can also get hold of a complete front cut of a vt also if that's any easier.

vyss manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss manual
if your not a panel beater dont attempt it if you weld the new front and its not square your bonnet wont close your head lights wont fit and front bar will look ****

vtlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina
I am fairly confident in myself to replace the support panel. I'm mainly after th easiest way to go about it and maybe a cost/tolls required for the job. I may end up just doing a complete conversion into my berlina

Mbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS statesman
im a beater.
i use a pick tool to to scribe the old marks so i know where to have the replacement panel when i weld it.

I use a cut off wheel and grind on the spot weld untill you can see a blue/black ring. (means you have sucessfuly ground through the first layer)

grind all the spot welds. then the rad sup should just pritty mych fall off.

then when it is off. i use a belt sander/wire wheel/roloc to clean up where the grinding was done.

then its crittical to use some copper weld/zink primer where ever there is bare metal.

then put the new/ second hand rad support on. then move it to the marks where you have scribed. and tec screw it in

put on bar/headlights/guards check all gaps are even. providing the car wasnt too bad and doesnt need to be pulled.

then pull all the gear off and weld the sucker on.

thats the basics there. pm me if u need further assistance.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
im a beater.
i use a pick tool to to scribe the old marks so i know where to have the replacement panel when i weld it.

I use a cut off wheel and grind on the spot weld untill you can see a blue/black ring. (means you have sucessfuly ground through the first layer)

grind all the spot welds. then the rad sup should just pritty mych fall off.

then when it is off. i use a belt sander/wire wheel/roloc to clean up where the grinding was done.

then its crittical to use some copper weld/zink primer where ever there is bare metal.

then put the new/ second hand rad support on. then move it to the marks where you have scribed. and tec screw it in

put on bar/headlights/guards check all gaps are even. providing the car wasnt too bad and doesnt need to be pulled.

then pull all the gear off and weld the sucker on.

thats the basics there. pm me if u need further assistance.

matt brings up a good point, even if you scribe mark the old location and put it back exactly how it was originally it still might might be out. you might need a rack and portapower to pull it back to square... id suggest getting a beater to sign off on your work before final welding... my .02c

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
well for a start im pretty sure its illegal for you to fix it... i am a beater too, "mattstatesman" thats exactly how we do it, although i would recomend taking it too a panel beater, and porter pawers arent used much anymore. its all global jig because they are 100% accurate. no beater will sign off on it, its too risky incase something goes wrong... my .02c

Mbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS statesman
well for a start im pretty sure its illegal for you to fix it... i am a beater too, "mattstatesman" thats exactly how we do it, although i would recomend taking it too a panel beater, and porter pawers arent used much anymore. its all global jig because they are 100% accurate. no beater will sign off on it, its too risky incase something goes wrong... my .02c

i usualy work on the auto robots/ car o liners

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Better off buying a brand new one, unstitching it all, then welding on a whole new one. But as previously said, its illegal for backyarders to do that kinda thing. A panel beaters repairs must be 100% because at the end of the day, they have peoples lives riding on their quality of work. You don't do a satisfactory job at home, you crash and you could be dead.

SHMKVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
If you blokes need a bench to square up a VT ,go back to school.Only your heights will be a bitch, but then theres ways to check that aswell.
But yes using a car-o-liner (or whatever measuring system) is the most accurate way,altough you should be able to do it without one too!!!