Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Don't drill into your A/C condensor

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
Guys doing this will result in there being a hole in your condensor!!

I was repairing my low speed collision damage on my VT S1 calais radiator support due to hitting a towbar when my cobalt bit ripped the drill out of my hand and shot directly into the condensor.

Screenshot (2990).png
Screenshot (2991).png

To be real though do you guys think the rad support looks alright? hammered it back to what LOOKS like original positions and shapes.

Screenshot (2992).png

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON

I was repairing my low speed collision damage on my VT S1 calais radiator support due to hitting a towbar when my cobalt bit ripped the drill out of my hand and shot directly into the condensor.

View attachment 253858View attachment 253859

To be real though do you guys think the rad support looks alright? hammered it back to what LOOKS like original positions and shapes.

View attachment 253860
So long as your lights fit back in and line up and your bonnet closes okay.

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Probably not what your gonna wanna hear but its a fail in my book and this is why its worth having car insurance because it ultimately results in experts assessing and repairing damage. Its easy to say its a low speed collision and I will just straighten it out but its really all about structural integrity and fact is what might appear to the naked eye to look like an ok repair may in fact be a compromised component (stress/hairline fracture) . There are correct procedures to be followed when undertaking such repairs which are best left to experts. Fair too say these model Commodores have a low safety rating anyway what difference would it make? But at the end of the day from where I sit its not as it should be. Take it to a panel shop and get an experts opinion before carrying on.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Daughter hit a lamp post smack bang in the middle of the bonnet in an XE Falcon, put a right ‘V’ in it.
Straightened out the top rail with a hydraulic Jack and a lump of wood, got another bonnet from the wreckers, replaced the near side headlamp. Good as gold.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

View attachment 253858View attachment 253859

View attachment 253860
I think you’ve got more to do there.
Here’s a good one.
IMG_3808.jpeg

IMG_3807.jpeg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The rad support still looks like it’s pulled in too much. Needs to come out to the side and forward more as well.

Have you thought about a new rad support? They are easy to get and affordable.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
Yeah solid idea but who's gonna weld it in and cut the old one out? Yeah it is pushed in about a cm or 2 but I think I can pull it out when I finish the service I'm doing

I can tell from looking at it from above, relative to the bottom rad mounting area which is undamaged

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
I've heard panel shops occasionally do repairs, not just unbolt, rebolt. Given the tweak and pulling, there's a possibility your condenser is damaged anyway from the hit, even prior to the new speedhole!

I was only just looking at replacement condenser options. An AC recharge several months ago has seemingly already failed, hissing from switch, limited cooling. I was having a quick poke around looking for telltale signs of fluro staining. Nothing so far, but found that they struggled with the receiver change and almost twisted the end off the fixed line instead of the end fitting. They forgot to tell me that. It seems NOS is long gone even as a replacement. I have no knowledge of the others.

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I've heard panel shops occasionally do repairs, not just unbolt, rebolt. Given the tweak and pulling, there's a possibility your condenser is damaged anyway from the hit, even prior to the new speedhole!

I was only just looking at replacement condenser options. An AC recharge several months ago has seemingly already failed, hissing from switch, limited cooling. I was having a quick poke around looking for telltale signs of fluro staining. Nothing so far, but found that they struggled with the receiver change and almost twisted the end off the fixed line instead of the end fitting. They forgot to tell me that. It seems NOS is long gone even as a replacement. I have no knowledge of the others.
Mine was leaking from under the compressor. Couldn't see where it was leaking from until l removed the compressor. Replaced the compressor & all good so far? I think l installed the new compressor 3/ 2019. 4 years & all good.?

There's more to this story.