Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec oil capacity?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Trouble is Pete, it gets worse the older you get.....it's a steep slippery slide. I spent about 10 minutes the other day cursing my remote for not unlocking then discovered I was pressing the lock button. It just ain't fair.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
what, who are you, where am I ??????

It`s ok hako I`m home. :beer chug:

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
series 1 ecotec is 4.3 liters , some motors had oil consumption problems poor piston ring tension and excessive valve guide clearance. some were fixed under warranty and got new dipsticks with higher oil levels , these took 4.8 liters. i used to have a series 2 vs ecotec and it took 4.8 liters as well. i only know about vs not later ecotecs , cheers.......

incorrect

ecotecs had an issues with rear main oil seals leaking and now there is even another revision to the dam thing,

when the revised rear main seal was replaced so was the sump that made away with a ribbin type seal to a gasket that was flat.

to confirm 4.5L for small sump plug bolts
4.8L for large sump plug bolts, vt had standard large sump plugs i have also seen some vs's with small and large plugs.
vs utes and statesmans should have standed large bolts from s3

fixitphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon stock
so where exactly do i drain the oil from?
I know this is an old thread: man if you don't know where to drain the oil leave it to someone who does! Or go take a course in basic automotive maintenance!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
On the subject of sump bolts even the VR Buick had two different sizes, really confusing when you need to buy a washer and parts shop is trying to sell you one too small.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Well Guys,

Straight from the "GM Service Communications Book" the reason for the revision during VS was that between the service intervals VS's were coming in with reports of excessive oil consumption with the oil falling below the add line on the dip stick and requiring more oil to be added before the next service, thus Holden issued a revised dipstick with a wider range between the add and full lines so that the oil never went below the add line before the next service. This was done purely by raising the Full line and adding another 300 ml to the sump, thus no more adding of extra oil and the customer felt much better for it all.