Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec torque to yeild bolts

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
Hi,

I am wondering if instead of spending heaps on ARP bolt/stud sets can i just go to a bolt shop and get some high tensile bolts to replace the head bolts, and rocker bolts that are torque to yeild ???

I cant really see the dollar value in the ARP sets, and i dont really wanna have to buy new bolts every time i open up the engine, not that i am planning it to be a regular thing.

Are the ARP sets worth it ?????

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Arp ftw...

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
ARP head and Conrod bolts are best. As for rocker bolts, go the bolt shop. Ask for hex cap bolts in the strongest steel they have, and take an old one for dimensions.

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
Arp ftw...

May be a stupid question but whats FTW mean ??????

Just found some arp head bolts at a reasonable price so i might get them.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
Just out of interest, take your head bolts in and get a price for a set of 8.8 high tensile bolts..

ARP will be cheap in comparison :rofl2:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I paid about $0.50 each for some ten point something grade steel, hex cap style bolts for my rockers.

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
I cant really see the dollar value in the ARP sets, and i dont really wanna have to buy new bolts every time i open up the engine, not that i am planning it to be a regular thing.
Are the ARP sets worth it ?????

If you're opening it up because you've thrown a rod, then the ARP's would have been a good investment. They won't make more power......if you're not making enough power to trouble the stock ones they are a waste of money, if you are ....they aren't.

Simple.

If however you are spending an escalating amount of money on parts and machining any insurance you can find is good for peace of mind.....

Just out of interest, take your head bolts in and get a price for a set of 8.8 high tensile bolts..

ARP will be cheap in comparison

Many bolts are made to spec for the OEM's , you can't find dimensionally exact versions at a bolt shop , in an effort to avoid warranty claims they generally have the right stuff in the right place.... hardness, shank length, thread length and engagement but most importantly CONSISTENCY!!!! That is what high quality rod bolts have.....they provide exactly the same crush force everywhere....... Stress will attack weak points or stress risers

Having said that I'd be surprised if there weren't people here who'd busted stuff......

If you can find a copy of Carroll Smith's book "engineer to win" you should read the chapter "Why Things Break" ............

Stock Code: B1651
Publisher Code: 0879381868
ISBN 10: 0879381868

over and out.

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
Prior to posting this topic the best price was well over a hundred dollars for ARP head studs, now i dont really wanna use the studs because of issues with removing heads while engine is in the car, but after more research i have found ARP make head bolts too, so i am gettint the ARP head bolts and as for main and big end the stock ones will do fine.

Unless they have a high failure rate which i have not heard about, then in that case i may think about repacing them too. but i ahven't heard anyone breaking main and conrod bolts.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
arp headstuds have more force holding the heads down compared to arp head bolts the joys of the fine thread nut on the ends of the studs :D