Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECU no stock in aussie

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Have you considered that the original diagnosis may be wrong and the current ECU is not the problem?

Dealers are known for poor diagnosis and throwing parts at a car hoping those parts will fix it… only for the owner to still have the same problem after spending thousands of dollars.…

Go back to basics and have a second diagnosis from a competent mechanic. Just tell him of the symptoms your car has and not what others have said is wrong with the car… A competent mechanic will work it out…

As to programming vehicle modules, ECU, TCU, etc, with the right tools and a GM subscription, anyone can program their vehicle…

DiagnoseDan is a good resource in learning how correct vehicle diagnosis should be done… click here to see his YouTube channel.

PS: plug and play simply means unplug the old part and plug in the new part and all should work without having to do further voodoo magic…

bexta

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 holden commodore VE wagon
Have you considered that the original diagnosis may be wrong and the current ECU is not the problem?

Dealers are known for poor diagnosis and throwing parts at a car hoping those parts will fix it… only for the owner to still have the same problem after spending thousands of dollars.…

Go back to basics and have a second diagnosis from a competent mechanic. Just tell him of the symptoms your car has and not what others have said is wrong with the car… A competent mechanic will work it out…

As to programming vehicle modules, ECU, TCU, etc, with the right tools and a GM subscription, anyone can program their vehicle…

DiagnoseDan is a good resource in learning how correct vehicle diagnosis should be done… click here to see his YouTube channel.

PS: plug and play simply means unplug the old part and plug in the new part and all should work without having to do further voodoo magic…
Thank you very much for your response and helping answer. Firstly I talked to a mechanic on the phone and he reckoned it was

thank you for your answers, really appreciate it. I’ve had a few people look at it- The mechanic i went to first looked at it and said he couldn’t find any fault but said his computer scanner system wasn’t great. The only thing he said it was showing up was something to do with a security system and he said he rekkons it needed a new key and I would be sweet. Then I rang up a mechanic (Holden dealer) with the issues I had and he believed it was my BCM and advised me that I need a key and to get it programmed, he was going to charge me heaps for it- $500 for the key and the programming of the key $300. It was a few days till Christmas and said they had non in stock and he would have to get it from Brisbane etc, but lucky said he knew a locksmith that could do it for me but didn’t know the price. ($400 later, new programmed key) the locksmith said straight away this isn’t my issue, he rekkoned it was my ECM, but still did it for me as I said im stressing not having a spare key now.
Then took it to Holden garage, it drove 19km and was fine (even though I was shitting bricks driving it) dropped it off, they did their computer check on it and said I need a new ECM. Drove it out 200 metres and it stalled and didn’t start straight away; then 4 more times in the space of under a km I had to get towed home cause it was too dangerous and really worrying me. So that’s the only reason I’m going with what Holden have said cause they have all the right gadgets for Holden cars. I’m going to try and be brave in a few days and drive it to bursons for them to post off my ECM and do this plug and play thing I guess? But they said if it’s fried then will have to replace whole thing. I was kinda hoping the answers would all be quite similar, but everyone seems to have different ideas as to what it may be

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
… I was kinda hoping the answers would all be quite similar, but everyone seems to have different ideas as to what it may be…
Probably because they actually haven’t diagnosed anything and simply rely on a trouble codes and possibly their historical knowledge of what worked in the past (which isn’t diagnosis)… or what scam worked in yne past (which isn’t ethical)…

As to the right gadgets for doing work on our VF’s, a VXDiag Nano (~$200) and a GM TDS subscription will allow any competent person to do what any dealer can do. But it’s a steep learning curve for many and a PITA to set up unless one has good computer literacy.

If you watch some DiagnoseDan videos around CAN bus issues you’ll start to appreciate that todays mechanics need to be more than mechanics of old with strong computer literacy, an analytical mindset and systems knowledge being critical to solving complex issues which our cars can suffer from. Many mechanics seem to not be up to the challenge :(

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thank you very much for your response and helping answer. Firstly I talked to a mechanic on the phone and he reckoned it was

thank you for your answers, really appreciate it. I’ve had a few people look at it- The mechanic i went to first looked at it and said he couldn’t find any fault but said his computer scanner system wasn’t great. The only thing he said it was showing up was something to do with a security system and he said he rekkons it needed a new key and I would be sweet. Then I rang up a mechanic (Holden dealer) with the issues I had and he believed it was my BCM and advised me that I need a key and to get it programmed, he was going to charge me heaps for it- $500 for the key and the programming of the key $300. It was a few days till Christmas and said they had non in stock and he would have to get it from Brisbane etc, but lucky said he knew a locksmith that could do it for me but didn’t know the price. ($400 later, new programmed key) the locksmith said straight away this isn’t my issue, he rekkoned it was my ECM, but still did it for me as I said im stressing not having a spare key now.
Then took it to Holden garage, it drove 19km and was fine (even though I was shitting bricks driving it) dropped it off, they did their computer check on it and said I need a new ECM. Drove it out 200 metres and it stalled and didn’t start straight away; then 4 more times in the space of under a km I had to get towed home cause it was too dangerous and really worrying me. So that’s the only reason I’m going with what Holden have said cause they have all the right gadgets for Holden cars. I’m going to try and be brave in a few days and drive it to bursons for them to post off my ECM and do this plug and play thing I guess? But they said if it’s fried then will have to replace whole thing. I was kinda hoping the answers would all be quite similar, but everyone seems to have different ideas as to what it may be
No way. You have far better options to explore first. So far they are all guessing and price gouging you.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Simply see if someone can relink your existing keys. No need for new ones at all.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Simply see if someone can relink your existing keys. No need for new ones at all.
Needs a proper diagnosis by someone who knows what they are doing.

An to Fu Manchu, thanks for the rroll ;)