Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecu replacment

killzy96

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 series 2 sv6 thunder
Howdy all, just brought a 2012 ve series 2 sv6 thunder for a steal. Only issue is, the ecu is fucked. I've found a bloke on ebay selling a ecu, bcm and barrel for $200 bucks from the same year ve, it's from a Manuel also. Just wondering if I brought his kit and replaced mine with his, would it work without having to reprogram it? Since all the parts will be replaced with working ones. I'm no expert in the electrical side of things. Just trying to save a few bucks is all. Any input would be muchly appreciated. Having no crank no start issues, ecu has a burnt smell so she's gone no doubt. Had a snap on diagnostics tool run on the car and the ecu isn't communicating at all. Cheers

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
It will need reprograming, all modules must be VIN matched.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Pointless buying those. VZ you could get the PIM,BCM, ECM, key head combo and it’s all good. However VE is very different.

They are a lot of modules on the network and they all have to be logged into the network for it to work. Your VIN is the password. The set up you are looking at would have to include every module in the car for it to work. It doesn’t, so you’re wasting your money.

Just get the BCM and get it matched to your car.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
You need the correct ECU for a start and the 2012 models are very specific as to which #service number will work
Best way on a VE is to clone the original or at least get the eeprom data of as it contains all the security settings for the keys.
It's easy if you know how and I have done a few 2012's but messy when you start swapping parts as you will find out if you try it.
It can be done swapping parts if you have the right software and hardware to change all the VIN's in all the modules that need it

Forgot to add if you put modules out of a manual into a auto then be ready for SPS2 programming as well after changing the VIN's as they are different flash numbers otherwise you will get loads of errors IF you get it started.

Last edited: