Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECU tuning - is it technically legal

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
It raises an interesting question though. Manufacturer's are bound to comply with very strict ADR regs. But are aftermarket tuners? Surely Walkinshaw tunes don't meet ADR's and or other emissions regs. Yet, Holden dealers sell W tuned cars as new? Food for thought.
not sure how correct it is but my understanding is holden get a new car in and roadworthy (if they even have to) it then it sits on the lot till sold, no matter how long it takes to sell it dosnt need another roadworthy so if any WP extras are fitted it just go thru on the original warrant of fitness, if u search a vehicle on holden database im sure none will ever say it was WP enhanced same as my HSV just shows up as a calais on holden search

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Holden dealers sell W tuned cars as new?

Dealers are required to sell roadworthy cars. One of the "benefits" of buying from a dealer, along with guaranteed title, statutory warranty if second hand etc.

So IF Walkinshaw tuned cars don't meet emissions requirements, are dealers breaching the terms of their licenses selling unroadworthy cars ?

I would expect if someone who has purchased a modded car from a dealer gets stung, they would suffer the punishment under the law and would then have to make a claim, under ACL or other law, against the dealer as a separate matter.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
So IF Walkinshaw tuned cars don't meet emissions requirements, are dealers breaching the terms of their licenses selling unroadworthy cars ?
They just have to fix it ... put the ECU back to standard, should it be determined that the tune didn’t comply to the rules ...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I would be suprised if Walkinshaw tune did not go through ADR/EPA compliance. Would be interesting to ask them

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I worry about lots of things...
It's kind of who I am...but at least my worries generate some interesting discussions that people normally do not think of... ;)

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
@Ron Burgundy I can't help but wonder if Walkinshaw reprogram the abs for their big brake kits.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
They just have to fix it ... put the ECU back to standard, should it be determined that the tune didn’t comply to the rules ...

Agree.....still in breach though.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Ron Burgundy I can't help but wonder if Walkinshaw reprogram the abs for their big brake kits.
I thought big brakes primarily resolve overheat issues from excessive spirited driving or racing but wouldn’t really impact ABS design/programing.

But tyre size and tyre compound does change the expected vehicle dynamics due to the different forces exerted by them which would have some impact on ABS and the various vehicle stability programs in use within our machines. Same goes for brake pad compound. The actual brake calipers and discs, not so much.

Meanwhile there are no strong controls on changing tyre width (as long as it’s within flimsy rules) and we are free to use whatever tyre compound we like as long as it has legal tread depth. As for brake pad compounds, we’re free to use what we want on our standard brakes of your vehicle.

Whatever walkinshaw does with regards to compliance, it would be as little as they can get away with (just like any company) yet they’d spruk their enormous investment and design skills. Meanwhile they’d work behind the scenes to tighten you the rules and exclude back yarders as much as they can get away with.

It’s all a game really...

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Walkinshaw I believe use a generic tune on all of their vehicles. I.e. they're not individually tuned. I would expect that they would have a 'blanket' certification for the tunes that they have developed so insurance and warranty claims wouldn't be an issue.

Would be interesting to know for sure though.