Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

efi V8 Tailshaft Conversion

taxidriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
Hello all,

I'm currently fitting a VS V8 and 4L60E to a VL Commodore and have come across a bit of a problem.

I had bolted the front half of the VS Commodore tailshaft to the VL NA 6 cylinder tailshaft thinking that it would bolt straight in however, it's far too long to fit.

Interested to know if anyone has completed a conversion with this box before and whether a custom tailshaft is required or whether a different combo is required?

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
I done front half of the donor shaft with rear half of the vl.

taxidriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
I done front half of the donor shaft with rear half of the vl.

that may have been the case but I can tell you that I've swapped the front halves over and the new half is way too long

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
I got mine shortened. 15mm front n 25mm rear I thinks by memory. Balanced with new uni's was $130 by driveline services. In archerfield brissy. Was for vh

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I have also done this conversion, both V6 and V8. Both cars used the donor cars front half to the original length rear, there must be something up with engine mounting or you have the wrong tail shaft. The front section should bolt up at the center bearing as factory.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
i just got one shortened and balanced ... couldnt be bothered trying to find a match (live too far away from wreckers ect). think it was about the $200 mark with new bearings and unis

taxidriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
I have also done this conversion, both V6 and V8. Both cars used the donor cars front half to the original length rear, there must be something up with engine mounting or you have the wrong tail shaft. The front section should bolt up at the center bearing as factory.

Yeah VK that was my understanding but it's just way too long. What else did the 4L60E come out of?

I used my original rear half so I know that part is correct. the front yoke is definitely correct. my measurements are telling me that the front section should be around 530mm but the piece I have is more like 620mm

Sorry should also mention that I've used a V8 K Frame so I cant see how there would be an issue with the engine mounts

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
well something is not correct.

taxidriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
it's likely to be the front half of the shaft as that's the only piece that's changed. I guess I'll just have to get it shortened if there is no other solution

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Have a look on my site I shortened mine when I did my conversion years ago, then take it off and get it balanced

I got lucky with mine it was 1g out

Scott