Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electrical Pre-voc

Summer-Sickness

2005 VZ EXEC
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
My advice is start the prevoc but apply for apprenticeships while you do it. it might make it easier to get an apprenticeship because you've shown an interest in the field but there is no real advantage in finishing the prevoc except that you spend less of your 4 years at trade school which only save your boss money.

bingo!

over here in WA almost every electrical apprenticeship says pre app req'd...
i did one n i liked it. first year of my tafe for my apprenticeship done... then i started my apprenticeship and atleast i had a slight idea as to what the tradesman was talking about... im a second year now n i will be finished my tafe in the early stages of next year...

i seen it mentioned above that it didnt help them with cutting the apprenticeship short... that was the companys choice... if you finish all your modules and prove yourself compitent you can get signed off early. my lecturer told me that if everything goes smoothly i will be elligible for sign off just before i turn 4th year... i want to do atleast 3 years of my apprenticeship before i get signed off tho. so i will be pushing for sign off between 3-3.5 years.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
im not sure about other states, but in qld, (im a qld and nsw electrician) you are required to reach a certain level of compentcy, this is acheived by hour's on the job, depending on how you fill in your profile sheet, will depend on which one of the licences you get. if you need to get say a minimum of 3000 hour's they wont sign you off unless you have acheived those minimum hours. so come 3rd year, and your down by a few hour's tough, they wont sign you off untill you have acheived the set level of compencty.

all the prevo does is gives you a basic knowledge of theory, the time it cuts off is some hour's at tafe, thats all it actually cuts off. actual time on the job doesnt get shortened.

just remember, keep your head down, study, the prevoc is a taste of whats to come, there are some subjects that will drive you mad, i.e. 3 phase induction motors, and phaser angles, they will drive you crazy, others will be nice and easy,