Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine balance question...

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I see no down side of the balance shaft being there, but if you are doing any kind of engine work, you will likely add a cam, then you upgrade springs.
well it's good practice to upgrade the timing chain to a double row when using extra spring pressure, which negates the option for a balance shaft.

Plus I don't think Holden sell new bearings and the aftermarket don't as far as I'm aware which is likely why they didn't do them.

Basically, take it out, run a bigger cam, run a dual row chain and have fun.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The main reason for a BS delete is to rid yourself of that awful rattle the Buicks get once the bearings start to wear out. If you don't mind the rattle then by all means leave it in.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The main reason for a BS delete is to rid yourself of that awful rattle the Buicks get once the bearings start to wear out. If you don't mind the rattle then by all means leave it in.

What rattle haha.

You should look into maybe a Polstar or a Tesla if you don't like noise.

Give me a job on a steam train any day, clickity clack, clickity clack, I love it.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
I'm pretty sure there is no way to run a double row chain on the flanged series 1 camshaft

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There is, I did it on mine when I took the balance shaft out. There is a specific timing set to suit.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm pretty sure there is no way to run a double row chain on the flanged series 1 camshaft
I was told that when mine was replaced, when I ordered the parts from the machine shop.
There is, I did it on mine when I took the balance shaft out. There is a specific timing set to suit.
This ^^^^ is what I found out later. Removing the drive sprocket on the BS creates the room apparently.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yep all Buick based V6 including the ecotec require balance shaft delete when using a double row, and as far as I remember all Buick V6 engines going back to the 70's have an aftermarket double row avaliable.

The big horse power ones in the states are actually the older 70's based block but just in billet.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What rattle haha.

You should look into maybe a Polstar or a Tesla if you don't like noise.

Give me a job on a steam train any day, clickity clack, clickity clack, I love it.
I like to know if my 200 + k engine has a problem. Reducing noises helps the untrained ear detect noises that should not be there. I know there is the option of turning up the radio and hoping for the best, but this is not how I roll..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep all Buick based V6 including the ecotec require balance shaft delete when using a double row, and as far as I remember all Buick V6 engines going back to the 70's have an aftermarket double row avaliable.

The big horse power ones in the states are actually the older 70's based block but just in billet.

Slightly older block design, different heads and intake as well.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
I'm just gonna put a crow cams single row in anyway so

but yeah I look at the crank piece now and it does seem to have room behind for another row of teeth i could see it working