Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Bay Questions

White_VY

mmmmmmVY
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Herron White VY series II Spac Ute
okay so... iv been researching and i know its probably been covered a million times but i have a bunch of questions to ask so i thought id put it all in one :)

below are some photos of my engine bay and what i would like to know is...

1. best way to clean the crap off.... im thinking just degreaser and then hose off... and is high pressure okay?
2. can i paint the pulleys.... they look yuck.....
3.is there any thing in there that will polish up nicely?
4.any good tips to neaten it up and make it look good...?

also if your wondering about these questions i have little to no knowledge of engines.... im a visuals guy hahaha

Thankyou so much in advance for all your help!!

Screen shot 2013-02-26 at 5.28.04 PM.jpg
IMG_4678.jpg
IMG_4677.jpg
Screen shot 2013-02-26 at 5.27.51 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2013-02-26 at 5.27.44 PM.jpg

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
You can paint pretty much anything plastic and out of heat.

Engine bays are a hard thing to do. Either you leave them standard, or you go all out. Anything inbetween looks half arsed.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
Removing the cover and polishing the plenium lid looks good if you as me.

Also the v8 radiator sourround can look good with the air box ducting.

White_VY

mmmmmmVY
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
thanks for your replys guys, and i dont mind if its heat stuff... iv done my plastics with heat paint... just looking to clean it up abit is all

Daniel Mobbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Just don't get to close with a high pressure washer.. let the degressers do there work rather then blasting it off.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
If you're going to degrease the engine then blast it with a high pressure washer, cover the main electrics (alternator, battery, coil packs and main engine fuses) with multiple plastic bags, it's better to be safe than sorry and frying something once you start the car afterwards.

Personally, I'd take the engine cover off and colour code the air intake (to me on my phone the white on the air intake looks to be a different shade), then some type of silicon spray or even tyre cleaner on black plastics to keep them nice and shiny.

Sent via iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
remove the rocker covers and paint - contrasting colour would look good (red?), or you could stick with the white theme. High temp paint on the exhaust manifold (white). You can paint the pulleys if you must - but no paint on the work surfaces (where the belt touches)

White_VY

mmmmmmVY
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
remove the rocker covers and paint - contrasting colour would look good (red?), or you could stick with the white theme. High temp paint on the exhaust manifold (white). You can paint the pulleys if you must - but no paint on the work surfaces (where the belt touches)

awesome thanks heaps! with the exhaust is that hard to take off? cause i dont have a hoist or anything? and id like to paint the pulleys cause they look all rusty :(

White_VY

mmmmmmVY
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
If you're going to degrease the engine then blast it with a high pressure washer, cover the main electrics (alternator, battery, coil packs and main engine fuses) with multiple plastic bags, it's better to be safe than sorry and frying something once you start the car afterwards.

Personally, I'd take the engine cover off and colour code the air intake (to me on my phone the white on the air intake looks to be a different shade), then some type of silicon spray or even tyre cleaner on black plastics to keep them nice and shiny.

Sent via iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

yeah its the same colour it just got really yucky and dirty hahahah!