Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Light after OTR?

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
ya probably shouldnt do a few hard runs if its running lean...melted pistons arent fun
Yeah I'm with you, I couldn't believe that a few hard runs was being suggested to fix a twin bank lean out warning!!!!! I mean really....Hey look the light has come on and says that I am running lean on all cylinders, mash the foot, a little detonation will fix that, she won't be running lean anymore!!!!! She won't be running..........

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
Maf is connected, all sensor are present and functioning as intended. Diagnostic states lean running in both banks. Light switch off after a few hard runs. See what happens on Saturday.

OMGWTFBBQ?!?!?!?!!!! You say you know it's running lean and then drive it hard??? WTF are you smoking??? Cause soon it will be the smoke from the grenade that goes off under your bonnet!!!

[edit] ok so other people beat me to it... lol

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
You said that there was a lot of oil on the K&N filter. Check the MAF sensor elements if they have any oil on them if they do clean it with some MAF cleaner.

you are on the money mate

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
Possible Solutions
Possible solutions include:

In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure.

all is well.

Everyone else can relax, for a moment i thought i was talking about your car lol

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Im guessing an air leak after the maf, most likely where the OTR fits onto the throttle body. I see this all the time where it hasnt slid over the throttle body properly at the base and allows unmetered air into the engine hence the lean mix.