Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine makes little grind when starting cold

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Basically you can flick the key for even a split-second and let go and the rest is automatic. Try it.

Love doing this... it's great that you just have to flick the key momentarily and it starts the car on it's own :)

MrWebby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series
Can you take a video? At the moment all i can picture in my head is a Chain Rattle.

Also what does a full refurbished engine mean? Different engine? or just put a new chain kit and other parts in your old engine?
I'll video it in the morning.

And a new engine provided by Holden, was fully refurbished. New timing chains, new water pump, pistons etc etc.

And the starter motor is brand new.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
If its a chain rattle then this is highly likely your problem. Technically you could still drive it like this until you get an engine light.
But eventually be looking at a Timing Chain/Tensioner/Guides job or if lucky maybe the camshaft actuator has clogged up and just needs replacing. But 99% of the time its the full chain kit job that fixes it.

Just to clarify, the noise I'm talking about is just the chain without full tension from the oil-filled tensioners not a chain stretch issue. Falcon OHC sixes have a similar noise/issue on cold start-up and still go forever. A stretched chain is a whole other issue.

MrWebby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series
Just to clarify, the noise I'm talking about is just the chain without full tension from the oil-filled tensioners not a chain stretch issue. Falcon OHC sixes have a similar noise/issue on cold start-up and still go forever. A stretched chain is a whole other issue.
Ah got ya. Thought you were saying the timing chains might be stuffed.

I spoke to a mechanic, he believes it could be my battery not holding charge after it was ran flat. I'll try swapping it out see what happens from there.

On another note, anyone know how to manually remove the service reminder and check engine light ?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Agree'd I would say its likely the tensioner. (We had the same issue on a Mace Kit tensioner which was slightly different size and squirt hole compaired to a holden kit) They didnt use a Mace Kit by any chance on the refurbished engine?

Sad part is if you are going to swap them out, might pay to change the chains and guides while you are there :)

MrWebby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series

Here's the video, sorry for the sound not being great recorded it on my phone. It sounds more like a grinding in person, but I'll leave it up to what any of yous have to say :)

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Sounds like one of those whoppi cushions deflating to me?
Whats the engine light for?
Have you had it back to holden yet?
To me, doesn't sound like a battery problem.
Sounds air related? Do you the have a/c on when starting car? If so, try turning it off, then turn car back on. See if the sound is still there.
Hey maybe its the air bag letting of. lol ha ha ha

MrWebby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series
Sounds like one of those whoppi cushions deflating to me?
Whats the engine light for?
Have you had it back to holden yet?
To me, doesn't sound like a battery problem.
Sounds air related? Do you the have a/c on when starting car? If so, try turning it off, then turn car back on. See if the sound is still there.
Hey maybe its the air bag letting of. lol ha ha ha

I called Holden, they said they noted it when they swapped the motor believing it was a faulty starter, I told them it has been replaced they aren't sure.

Engline light goes away once started, no codes logged