Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine oil life

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Doesn't the process need to be completed within 3 seconds ? Reds, push push push, off. done. Thats what i read on the net somewhere and it worked for me.

affinity

Reaction score
Members Ride
International (Dual Fuel) VE MY10 Sedan, 3.6L 4A
i have a MY10 and oil reset works for me fine.

turn key to ON (but not starting the car), press go pedal fully to the floor 3 times (doesnt have to be quick... just has to be flat to floor each time), then turn key to OFF.
next time you start, oil should be 100%.

if this doesnt work, maybe its got something to do with the dual fuel.... but unlikely.

Thank you, but it still doesn't work for my car. :(

MPRSSV

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Exec (Police pack) & 05 CV8Z Monaro
the reason why the oil life would not have been reset is because it is not used for anything in this market. it may be used in saudi or the us. the ecu won't do anything with the information and neither will the instrument panel. its just there. so holden mechanics don't really bother with it. why waste time on something most every day customers don't see.

Not having a go at you but when Holden want $260 for a basic service I know I would want them to do EVERYTHING properly...

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Seeings the oil life feature isn't used in Australia then doing a service without resetting it is doing everything properly.

Or would you prefer we adjust your headlights to suit American roads?

ads18x

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Ute
do you get a reminder or something on the screen if it gets to 0%, even if you have service and have that reminder taken off?

richmond2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE G8 V6
in Canada OnStar will E mail you a monthly report and on it it will report the oil life + the car will tell you to change the oil @ 5% I believe, and my dealer did NOT reset it ether

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
When my oil life went to 0% the sump plug unscrewed its self and dumped the oil. Those on 3 - 5 % should be worried.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
99% of mechanics dont reset the oil life after a service so it probably sits at 0 for ages... simple to do yourself...

GSG

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE Exec
Correct jdodd.
G'day Riey, thanks for your previous response, re 6sp ve transmissions.
On this topic, I have mine @ 13% oil life & I have tried to reset it, as per this method & holding down the enter key again for long time periods, I have tried all combinations of all other buttons as well & it wont reset. I do notice as I turn the key to the off position I get a quick flash message of 'press enter to reset' as the screen dies.
It is an SV6 2011 series 11 VE sedan 6sp 3.8L
Any ideas please?

Last edited:

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
So just checking your process. You are in Engineering Mode, you scroll down to Oil Life, it shows percentage. Press the accelerator 3 times flat to the floor - wait a few seconds it should change to 100%, if not repeat. I just tried this on my 2009 VE SS, oil life was showing 0% then it reset to 100%.
As has already been said in this thread, this is just a counter that presumably just counts the Km down from 15,000 expressed as percentage (so presumably would show 50% after 7500 Km etc, not sure if it may also factor in time, for example if you haven't driven the car for 6 months after changing the oil, would it also show 50%? The car does not sense the actual oil quality. If you log your oil changes and know the kms when it was last changed, there is no particular benefit to resetting this counter.