Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Oil Recommendation - V6 Hovercraft UK!

Machineage

Reaction score
Hi all!

I know this has been discussed to death & then some...

That said my question may be somewhat different. I am looking for some advice regarding a suitable engine oil. The engine is thought to be a VP / VR V6 but it's in a hovercraft and I am based in the UK. The engine has run some 200 hours from when it was installed - and it was a very low km unit when it was originally sourced. It is governed to 4400rpm and being in the UK we have lower average temperatures than Oz - getting down to sub zero °C through the winter but up to 30°C in the summer.

I initially read that Penrite HPR15 (semi) would be suitable - so that's what it's been running. However I've also read all sorts of conflicting reports about sludging etc and it being a medium / lower class oil? I see it is only available now here as a full synthetic.

Could anyone suggest a suitable oil for this engine given its application & location etc? I am able to access most oils here in the UK (Castrol - Mobil etc) although Penrite is only sold through a few retailers here.

Thanks!

Last edited:

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
In the States the Buick uses 15-40 but i think they have extra additives to cope with the cold compared with Oz.I think a talk to a BP Technical officer is your best bet.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
the old buick v6 will almost run on cooking oil, they really are very easy on oil. You would find in the states most run it on 10w30, even 5w30 in the lower temp areas. Its an australian thing (and without much backup) to run thick oils, somehow based on our high temps....but you get high temps in the states also.

For your application, I'd run a decent semi syn or synthetic 10w30. If your going to be -10 or below I'd suggest 5w30. Most of the of penrite sludge issues are gone now, but take a look inside the oil cap and see how the rockers look.