Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine stall after hours of driving

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Some posts about rest chimes if you watch the link it shows where to turn on/off.
Just trying to be funny don`t mind me lol.:D

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Fair enough!

Anyone else happen to have some suggestions or responses to the above?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
try replacing crank angle sensor
sometimes they dont throw a code even though they are faulty

Stevebouchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 sportswagon
Hey mate, I'm not much help but I've got a VE Series 2 2011 wagon with 160000 on the clock and it's just started doing almost exactly the same thing although mine seems to be only while driving in traffic and starts happening after about 1 hour. When I turn the key just after it happens I get no response at all until I wait about 15 minutes and then it starts no problem and off I go until it happens again in anywhere from 30 seconds to not at all.

Took it to the mechanic he says that he's checked it over and can't diagnose as there are no obvious faults and no error codes.

I was about to start replacing parts as a process of elimination, would start with fuel pump and filter and perhaps relays but your post makes me very doubtful on where to begin.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they found a solution.

Please keep me posted on how you go and i'll do the same.

Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had an issue with the ute, mech checked it over couldn't find fault. Stalled four or five times before I figured out it was the crank sensor. Codes were inconclusive as they would come and go. Code would set but would not come up again when the tool was used as it was intermittent. Try pouring some water on the crank sensor when it happens next. Not 100% sure how difficult that is on a VE as the sensor is on the bell housing on the drivers side IIRC.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey guys, Dad went out on his own with this and started throwing parts at it.

Cat converter, oxy sensors, and oil temp sensor, problem still occurs.
The best part is now when the car stalls "Engine Immobolised" flashes on and off on the screen as well as the Engine light goes on and off and STILL doesn't store any pending codes.

I'll get him to change the crank angle sensor next.
Hey mate, I'm not much help but I've got a VE Series 2 2011 wagon with 160000 on the clock and it's just started doing almost exactly the same thing although mine seems to be only while driving in traffic and starts happening after about 1 hour. When I turn the key just after it happens I get no response at all until I wait about 15 minutes and then it starts no problem and off I go until it happens again in anywhere from 30 seconds to not at all.

Took it to the mechanic he says that he's checked it over and can't diagnose as there are no obvious faults and no error codes.

I was about to start replacing parts as a process of elimination, would start with fuel pump and filter and perhaps relays but your post makes me very doubtful on where to begin.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they found a solution.

Please keep me posted on how you go and i'll do the same.

Cheers

Sorry to hear mate, I'll def post any more updates we get.

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
try replacing the battery in the key fob

Stevebouchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 sportswagon
Hey mate,

I had my car in at the holden mechanics all last week and they eventually managed to find the problem of my ECU playing up when its hot. At first they couldnt find anything, without fault codes but they managed to diagnose it by driving the car with their computers connected until it cut out. They say that this gave them the info needed to diagnose it and then they replaced the ECU. The ECU itself only cost me $380 plus the $700 labour but that's not bad for holden. Its been fine since and its definitely fixed the problem for my car, sounds like weve had pretty similar symptoms so might be worth your old man replacing his ecu. I assume that they had to reprogram it to suit my specific model but they didnt give me so many details on the invoice.

Hope this helps mate, let me know how you go.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Lmao fk well the crank angle sensor wasn’t it.

He’s now found a bit of a pattern, can drive for as long a he likes under 50-60, but as soon as he gets on a freeway/motorway above 70 it’ll stall.

Guess the ECU is the next option.

Also tried two different key fobs same issue.

Assuming Holden specific tools required for ECU programming but 700$ is a little steep for the family budget atm, perhaps someone here might know of an alternative?

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
You could buy programming subscription from https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions
and purchase a suitable programming cable.
You will need to create an account first .

Alternatively, after you have purchased a subscription from ACdelco, you can pay me a small fee for my time and I'll come with my cable and my laptop. I have updated software on my ecu and other modules previously but haven't programmed one from scratch...there was an option there and just need to follow instructions.